"What did I tell you about those quick nothings, sweetheart?" he asked, tilting his head to the side as he pushed me against the black wall. The picture frame next to us shook when my shoulders met the hard surface.

"Remind me," I teased, knowing very well what he referred to.

His hands caged in my head, his shadow looming over me as he full-on grinned, now. "Don't ever do that again, Isabelle."

"What?" I felt brave. "This?" I moved quickly, placing a peck on his lips again and ducking under one of his arms before I bolted down the hall, to the stairs.

I had no idea where I was going, or how long I could evade him, but I knew I would give it my best try.

His heavy footsteps sounded behind me as I ran down the stairs, my feet crashing against the wooden steps. I turned right, towards the living room and around the back to the glass doors. If I could make it outside, maybe he wouldn't be so hard on me when he inevitably caught me.

The glass doors were locked, and I'd never learned how to unlock them. I always fumbled, and I wished I ran past them as soon as I felt the warmth of my husband-to-be on my back.

He tsk'ed, his tongue clicking as he reached around me to put the lock back into place, and then he brushed my hair off my shoulder, his lips meeting my cheek.

"You know how much I love chasing you through this house, sweetheart, but we don't have time for this today," he said, his voice low and full of promises.

I turned around, my brows furrowed. "But this is our last day off! I wanted to... you know."

I bit my lip as I let my hands travel slowly up his shirt, unbuttoning the top button as I watched his eyes darken again. He wanted it too, but he took my hands in his and pressed a long, deep kiss on my lips.

"I know," he replied, his voice dropping an octave. "Me too." He pulled away, his smile wide and secretive, as he urged me back towards the stairs, to get ready for whatever it was he had planned.

Not knowing what I was doing made it difficult to choose what to wear, but Damian told me to dress up, so I did. I'd worn a long, sparkly dress and curled my hair, pinning it into a half-up style to keep it away from the sweetheart neckline of the dress. The color matched Damian's suit, and it made me feel powerful as fuck, like I truly was the wife of a mafia boss.

Damian held my hand while he drove, his fingers rubbing circles on my skin, seeming a little nervous. I'd asked several times where we were going and what we were doing, but he refused to tell me.

So when he parked the car outside the rooftop where he proposed to me, my stomach started turning around and goosebumps erupted all over my skin. One last date before we were married? I looked up to see if I could spot any hints before he walked around and opened the door for me.

"What are you planning, Damian?" I asked one last time.

He winked at me. "Something special."

I couldn't stop my cheeks from warming, and I let it go. I'd see it all in just a few minutes.

The elevator ride was quick, and I practically ran out of it to see what was going on, only to be met with an arch of lupines and fairy lights, and my best friend with tears down her cheeks. I immediately ran to her, my hands finding her big belly to make sure everything was okay.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking straight into Elina's eyes when she sobbed loudly.

"Nothing!" She wiped her tears with the backs of her hands and grabbed mine. "I'm just a hormonal mess, and this is so fucking romantic, oh my god, I'm so sorry, Damian."