5| Getting My Mind Off Of This

Mondays are terrible. I always feel off and pissy, but today? It was worse. I woke up in the morning feeling like a part of my heart stopped working. I mean, it did. Ever since Jonah said those words, I feel like something in me just died, and I cannot breathe anymore. Legitimately.

"Fi, you gonna eat that or can I just devour it for you?" Travis asks from across me, ogling at the tray of roasted beef

"You can have it," I nudge it towards him and cross my arms over my waist.

Xiao, who was sitting at the head of the cafeteria table like a father at supper, eyes me suspiciously. "You good?"

"I'm fine," I say, biting the inside of my cheek.

Rowan arches a brow my way, but I ignore her. I really hope she or Gael won't say anything about my behavior today. The last thing I want is for everyone in this friend group to know what happened to me and Jonah last night.

"They freaking ran out of the beef, so they gave us chicken," announces Hugo, dropping his tray on the table and squeezes in to be next to his girlfriend. I squirm a little to my right until I sense someone else behind me.

"J, you could just use up the small space next to Fi," Xiao says.

I go pale. I glance up for a second and see him standing and holding his tray. I feel the atmosphere change into something awkward and tense. And then I notice the other blonde slightly behind me.

"Oh, Caryn," Leon acknowledges. "Ah, why can't they just let us use two tables?"

"It's fine," I cough, standing up. "Here, you can take my seat."

Caryn looks overly worried. "Oh, are you sure? I wouldn't want to steal your space."

"No, you're good," I force a smile. "I'm not eating anyway."

"Where are you going?" Phoebe asks, and I'm so sure she's going to text me tonight demanding what happened. Ah, Phoebe and her sixth sense.

I point over my shoulder with my thumb. "Uhh, the library. See you."

Stealing one last glance at him, I regret it. He barely looks at me, and he ignores me like I'm just some side character in his movie. I decide to let it go and leave the cafeteria, putting on my AirPods and start shuffling my "In The Feels" playlist.

"And you wanna scream,

Don't call me 'kid,' don't call me 'baby',

Look at this godforsaken mess that you made me—"

"What the—" I turn around and see James holding an AirPod with his other hand on a hip. "Uh, James, give me that."

"No," he raises it higher from my reach, "not when you tell what the heck's going on between you and JJ."

JJ. JJ Whitlock. It's a cute nickname given to him when the guys found out he had a secret Outer Banks phase and his man crush is Rudy Pankow. I mean, I don't blame him. I'm in love with the actor and character myself. The thought brought me back to when Jonah and I were mapping out ideas for Halloween, and he suggested we match and go as Kiara and JJ. Well, that time it was before they got together.

"Nothing."

"Don't 'nothing' me, you toot," James sassily says. "Ever since his party last night, he was acting weird. Then you were acting weird—"

"He was acting weird?"

He rolls his eyes. "Oh, yeah. It was like his cat died or something. Then you came home late and acted all moody. Are you on your period? Or about to? Seriously, women on their period can be quite a pain in my as—"