Twenty seven.

Ryder PoV

I see the surprise in her eyes at me standing here, mere meters from her. Then I watch the smile slide from her face, replaced with a frown and surprise of a different type.

She looks to Jess, to me, to Jess, then to my eyes.

I see her insecurities, I put them there. I can only blame myself right now.

I gulp and move Jess out the way. I don't know if she's talking, I'm not listening.

My heart is beating out of my chest as I walk the few steps to my girl. She closes the last few and I'm extremely relieved to see her expression soften. Even if her frown is still present, more in worry than hurt.

"Ry why are-" I wrap my arms around her and push my nose into her hair, "-you here? What's going on? Are you ok?"

Her worry touches me, she cares so deeply for me I can hear it in her voice.

Her arms wrap around me but I can tell she's eager for me to settle her nerves and tell her what's going on.

Her hair doesn't smell like her usual comforting smell. It hasn't since the hair appointment last night. I hope she washes it tonight so it smells of her again.

I reluctantly pull back and move my hand to her cheek.

"Can we go?" I ask softly, unsure how she's feeling and what she's thinking. Im relieved when she nods, even if it's with a frown.

"Yeh, uh, what's going on?" She asks again, the concern still clear.

I want to tell her but I'm too pent up.

"Mate, you not playing?" Jamie asks. I forgot about him. I forgot about everyone but Bella.

As team captain for my town team, I'm sure he'll be pissed off I'm not out there, playing my heart out, but I can't. Some things are more important.

"No. Not playing." I shake my head not looking away from Bellas worrying eyes.

I try to come up with what I can say to explain why I'm not playing, but it's sounding more and more pathetic with each second.

"You alright?" Maddox asks, and I huff out a breath.

"Yeh, just.... fuck it, ask Will if he wants to explain." I turn to see my two team mates looking over me with worry. This isn't like me, I know.

"I don't want you worrying." I rub my face. I'm growing embarrassed of my reactions to something so ridiculous like being teased. "it's just Dev." I mutter.

I see Bellas frown grow.

I don't know what more I can say. It's like I'm digging myself a hole.

"Let's go." She bites her bottom lip and takes the material of my football top at my hip in her fingers. The small movement warms me.

I don't want to worry her by telling her about Dev, I didn't think this through. I'm not lying to her though.

Why did I come out here? Why didn't I just suck it up and play on? Now I'm going to have to tell her and she'll get worked up and embarrassed.

"Bye guys." Sarah smiles a tight smile at Bella and waves a slow hand up at us.

Bella turns us and I realise we're leaving. I'm so caught up in my own stupid head.

"See you tomorrow." Maddox nods to me and I nod back.

"Take care Izzy, ciao Ryder." Jamie smiles tightly to us.

Bella leads us through the crowd by my hand. I don't bother trying to see the faces of people talking to me. I just keep my eyes on Bella. On my name proudly displayed across the back of her shoulders.