Numb

Ahsoka sat back in her chair with a sigh. Her eyes were stinging after staring at her datapad for so long, and yet she hadn't written more than two hundred words since she'd started.

This paper was due that night, and it was quickly dawning on her that she was unlikely to make the deadline.

She'd have to ask her teacher for an extension, which shouldn't be too difficult because they were all aware that she was currently acting as a full-time carer for her injured Master.

Feeling ravenous, a glance at the chrono confirmed she was due to check on Anakin and make his lunch.

Saving her essay and bookmarking the different texts she was reading, Ahsoka stood up and stretched out her sore back.

It was relatively easy to find something to eat in their small kitchenette. Obi-Wan had batch-cooked them enough meals to last whilst he was away on a mission, so she only had to pull a tray out of the refrigerator and put it into the microwave.

Filling a glass with squash and grabbing a straw, Ahsoka set towards Anakin's bedroom.

To her surprise, he was awake.

He'd been asleep all morning, not even waking for breakfast. The Healers assured her that he would be tired, but it was still odd to see her Master so still.

Anakin was propped upright in his bed with an abundance of pillows behind his back. He had a blanket covering his legs, but his chest remained bare, the scars of his most recent injury on display; red and angry-looking.

Tired eyes flitted towards her as she knocked on the door. Across the room from Anakin's bed, the HoloNet was on with pod racers zooming past the screen. It had been muted, subtitles running under the screen.

"Hey," she smiled as she walked in, burying her own fatigue to focus on him. "Good to see you awake."

He certainly looked more like himself now the bruises on his face had faded. Tyson must've given him a shave that morning as he was no longer supporting any stubble. Ahsoka knew that he preferred to be clean-shaven.

Anakin hummed, blinking slowly, "What's the time, Snips?"

His voice still sounded strange after over a week of being on a ventilator, but she wouldn't dare complain. She'd rather him alive with a hoarse voice than dead.

"It's just gone one in the afternoon," she replied, settling herself on the edge of his mattress. She glanced at the remote in his hand. "Why's the volume off?"

"Thought you were studying," he murmured.

"I wasn't having much luck anyway," she replied, "I'd rather been watching the pod racing."

He managed to turn the HoloNet off with the remote, though she knew even that slight movement strained him.

Two weeks ago, Anakin had been involved in almost a fatal accident. In the aftermath of a battle, an undetected landmine had exploded, causing a Republic walker to fall.

Anakin had pushed her and a squadron of clones away, but wasn't able to protect himself from being crushed between the fallen walker and the wall of a canyon.

Ahsoka could still remember how loudly she had screamed for medics when she realised what happened.

She'd lifted the walker off him by herself, and been shocked by the state he was in when the medics pulled him out.

He really shouldn't have survived.

The 501st medical team performed emergency surgery in the field to try to save his life. Rex had to hold her back, and stop her from fighting when Coric told her that she should prepare for the worst.