Relieve

After suffering medical abuse at the hands of staff at a medical centre, Ahsoka has a hard time accepting help on the Resolute.

///

Content warnings: Mentioned medical neglect/abuse/trauma, including restraint, sedation, forced catheterised, safeguarding breaches, and other forms of abuse. 

///

It was cold in the medbay at this hour of the night.

Anakin knew that the temperature was so low because the cruiser was naturally cooler at night, and it made it easier to keep certain medications at their ideal temperatures. It also ensured that the staff on duty didn't fall asleep as the cold kept them awake.

Still, he didn't like it.

Having stayed overnight in the medbay more times than he could count, Anakin knew how horrible it was to sleep in temperatures like this.

He didn't like knowing that Ahsoka was likely feeling the same way.

Anakin poked his head into the office, making sure he didn't drop the tray in his other arm. Kix was on shift tonight, typing onto a datapad with one hand and mindlessly sipping caf with the other.

Taking a sealed packet out of his pocket, Anakin called out, "Think fast, Kix!"

The medic jumped almost a foot out of his seat, caf spilling as he fought to control his reflex. He scowled as the packet hit his shoulder, "I've told you once, General, and I'll tell you again-"

"I know, I know," Anakin's grin grew as Kix picked the packet off the floor, turning it over. "Don't startle you guys when it's the night shift, but how could I drop by without bringing a gift?"

"Normally, people hand gifts to one another." Kix grumbled, "They don't throw." The medic looked up, opening the packet. "Thanks anyway, sir. How did you manage to find this? We ran out of these pastries weeks ago."

"I have my ways," Anakin said, watching as Kix took a large bite of the sweet pastry. He knew it was the medic's favourite treat. Sometimes, he even used it as bribery to avoid being admitted to the medbay. "Is she sleeping better tonight?"

Kix nodded, talking whilst his mouth was full of pastry and cream. 

"She was asleep when I did my rounds. She woke herself up with a nightmare earlier. I offered to sit with her whilst I did my paperwork, but she declined. Poked my head in half an hour ago, and she was sound asleep again."

Anakin nodded, absorbing the information. He was pleased to hear that this night was going better than the previous one.

His Padawan's nightmares were precisely the reason why Anakin was visiting the medbay in the late hours of the night.

It had been Ahsoka's first major injury since she recovered from her experience of medical neglect at Kaliida Shoals Medical Centre.

Even though Ahsoka knew that the medics of the 501st would cross ice and fire to protect her, it was evident that the trauma of Kaliida Shoals had cracked the trust she shared with her own medics.

Ahsoka had barely eaten or slept since she was admitted to the medbay for a broken femur and several cracked ribs. All of the medics had assured Anakin that they didn't have her on any medication that could've caused insomnia and lack of appetite.

Coric was the one to suggest that there could be a psychological cause.

It broke his heart to hear that the carelessness of the Kaliida Shoals staff had so deeply affected his student, and it also made him feel rage.