Chapter 19: Meredith

This week has been anything but crazy. With homecoming this weekend, the school threw up the school colors of navy blue and gold. I'm not just talking about the walls, the doors, or even the bathrooms. Yes, you heard me, I said the bathroom, but even staff and students are covered in the colors. Don't get me wrong, I like homecoming, and I'm all for school spirit, but I would rather stay in my dark corner reading my books. Speaking of books! I just started this book that's a twist on the Peter Pan story, and it's a dark romance! Honestly, thank you, authors, for giving me the best escape.

I went to open my driver side door and nothing. Yes, nothing. I tried again and really pulled this time. Okay, I don't remember this morning it being stuck. I grabbed the handle with both hands and pushed off the back door as I pulled with all I got. Come on, Mere use your muscles! Unfortunately, I don't have any, and as hard as I pushed with my foot or pulled, it wasn't budging.

The sound of feet shuffling across the ground came to a stop behind me. With a groan, I turned around, trying to catch my breath. There is a set of 3 eyes stare watching me. They each read different things from embarrassment for this girl, to this girl really is crazy. I gave a small wave.

"Oh hey guys, I didn't see you there."

"Are you alright, Mere?"

Connie asked as she looked down at my one hand, still holding the handle in a death grip. I pulled my hand away so fast I ended up hitting it off the side mirror.

"Ouch! I mean, yes, everything is great."

"Do you always fight and lose with your car?"

Seth let out as he took in my car. Connie elbowed him and the stomach while Carter hit him on the back of the head.

"Shut up."

Carter walked over to me, it's like his eyes were digging deep into my soul. He was so close we were almost chest to chest. His sandalwood scent wrapped around us as he leaned in. Oh my God! Is he going to kiss me? In front of everyone in the parking lot at school? What no Carter Hayes would never kiss me, Meredith Miller! Mere you can do this, girl!

I closed my eyes and leaned up a bit on my tip toes. Then I waited and waited, but there was no sweet kiss left upon my lips. Carter cleared his throat, and I opened my eyes to see he had reached around me to the door. Which might I add was now open!

"Oh, thank you, but I could've done it. I was just taking in the fresh air." He chuckled at me.

"Anything you say, Bug."

I went to get in when he pulled me back.

"Also, you'll know when I'm going to kiss you."

I think my heart just stopped. When he what? Did he say kiss? I can't handle this. He kissed my head and talked into my hair.

"Relax, not right now."

"That's easy for you to, your stomach isn't the one turning to mush."

"Hey, let's go before, coach rips us a new one." Seth said as he walked around the car.

"Drive safe." Carter, as he shut the door for me when I was in.

"Always do." Carter looked over at Connie.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure we get to the game in one piece." He gave her a nod.

"We'll be fine, now get going."

********

We had just made it into the arena, and Connie pushed our way through the crowd as I hung on to her jacket. Once we were through the thick of it, we started walking side by side.