Chapter 9: Meredith

I lathered my hands with soap and gave the girl coming out of the stall a small smile as she paid no mind to me and just walked out. Ew, there are some nasty people out there. How some people can just not wash their hands after using the bathroom is beyond me. I dry my hands and give myself a quick look over in the mirror. The bathroom door swings open just then, and Connie strolls in.

"I thought I would find you here. You know Lauren is already heading to the gym for tryouts." She said as she leaned against the counter and picked at her nails. "You know we don't have to go and watch her; she'll be fine without us." I shoot her a look.

"She is our friend. If it was you, then you would want us there for support." I throw away my paper towel and pick up my bag. She pouted; "Okay fine let's go before she has an aneurysm because we're not there yet." We both let out a laugh and make our way to the gym. Connie started digging in her bag.

"Shit, I left my phone in my last class. You go ahead, and I'll catch up."

" How mysteriously convenient." She laughed and gave me a shove.

"I'm being serious!"

"Go on, go get it. I'll see you there." She smiled and turned back the way we came as I continued onward. I pulled out my phone and the book I'm reading at the moment. As I round the corner, I hit a stone wall and fall backward. As I waited for the fall that never came, I opened my eyes and looked down at the hands on my arms. I looked up at the voice that's so sweet my heart started pumping faster the second words left his mouth.

"Hey, are you alright?" Carter asked as he kept his hands on my arms. He looked so go in his crisp white shirt and blue jeans. How can someone make a simple outfit so heart stopping. I say the first thing that pops in my head.

"You don't remember me?" He frowned and let me go before putting his hands in his pockets. Realizing what I just said, the word vomit starts coming out.

"I'm sorry, I mean I'm sure you know me. I may it's totally cool if you don't.. you are like Mr. Big. Shot and I'm.... I'm sorry I ran into you. Are you hurt? Should I go get the nurse?"

A smile broke out on his face as he picked up my book that I hadn't noticed was laying on the ground.

"Oh, don't worry Bug, I remember you. Also, I'm perfectly fine." I took my book from his outstretched hand. He runs his hand through his hair.

"Where are you off to?" As I opened my mouth, I was cut off by a handful of voices that walked up behind Carter. I look at Brandon and Eric, who have two girls following behind them like they are on a leash.

"Are you ready to go?" Eric asked, but before Carter could answer, arms wrapped around him from behind.

"Carter! Here you are!" A girl wearing one of the shortest shorts I have ever seen and deep drown in blue eyes walked out from behind him. Her smile fell a bit when her eyes landed on me, but she was quick to recover her smile.

"Are you going to come watch me pick girls for my cheer team?" She leaned into his side and sunk her claws into his arm. My stomach started knotting, and I felt as if my body was on fire. What is happening?! I wanted to pull her by her fake hair away from him.

"No Stacie, I have practice." She frowned and tried to get closer to him, which I don't think is even possible. She started whispering in his ear, and I slipped past them, making a beeline to the gym. It's bad enough that I ran into Carter; I don't need to see her hanging all him, too. I already made a fool out of myself.

I walked up the bleachers a bit and sat down as Lauren came running over to me, looking like she caked her face with even more makeup than usual. I gave a smile and started to open my book.