Lady of the Tides

6 years later - 131 AC

Rhaenyra smiled as she made her way down the stairs and towards the painted table where a scowling Baelon and smirking Baelor stood at attention while Maester Gerardys lectured them in High Velaryon. Near the fireplace, little Viserys giggled as he played with blocks; his governess, speaking to him softly, helped him pick out colours and count the number of blocks.

Ignoring the hole in her heart where her missing children lay, Rhaenyra called out, "Dranot."

"Told you!" Baelor snickered, jumping back when a frustrated Baelon swung at him, his purple eyes alight with irritation. Despite being so close in age and temperament, the pair had always picked at each other. Petty jealousy and rivalries made arguments and spats common as they learned and trained together despite their parents' constant scolding.

"Enough, Baelor. Try again, Baelon." Rhaenyra said, her eyes soft as she came to stand beside her third eldest, her hand coming up to play with his shoulder-length silver curls.

For the next few minutes, Rhaenyra felt at peace as she watched her sons learn under Maester Gerdarys' gentle tutilage. Little Viserys even came to sit on her lap as she sat in one of the many cushioned chairs to rest her pregnancy-swollen feet.

The creaking of the door creaking was what pulled Rhaenyra from her contentment. Looking over, she smiled as Aelyx came strutting towards her, his clothes covered in soot from his adventures in the Dragonmont.

"Kepa!" Viserys cried, holding out his arms and squealing when Aelyx lifted him up, tossing his little frame into the air and catching him with an exaggerated groan. But despite the playful smile on her husband's face, Rhaenyra saw the furrow in his brow and the tension that lined his muscular frame.

"Leave us." She called, smiling as Baelor reached out and took a whining Viserys' hand, leading his younger brother away gently while the maester continued his lecture as they walked.

Once the children were gone, Rhaenyra struggled to her feet, her hand on her belly as she asked, "What is it?"

Silently, Aelyx held out a rolled-up piece of parchment while his eyes levelled on her growing belly, filled with worry. Frowning, Rhaenyra took the parchment and read it silently as her heart began to race.

"Vaemond means to try and depose Baela as Driftmark's heir." She hissed, fury making her face burn hot, "And in doing so, call into question whether or not a woman can be named heir over a male relative. Why? Why would he do this?"

"Because Vaemond is a greedy little cunt. With the Sea Snake wounded and unable to defend himself, he means to make common cause with the Hightowers. Baela technically carries the Targaryen name, and with Laena dead, the succession line becomes much murkier."

"Lord Corlys has always been clear about who he wishes to succeed him. Why else would he keep Baela and Rhaena so close. What about Daemion? Is there any news from him?"

"He fights alongside the Velaryon forces in the Stepstones. With Corlys wounded, he would have assumed leadership. He cannot help us without risking the whole campaign."

"We cannot let this happen. If Vaemond succeeds, he will set a precedent that could threaten our entire family- my inheritance."

"Rhaenys and the girls are flying to King's Landing to meet up with my mother and father. We could join them."

Rhaenyra felt her nose curl at the mention of her good mother; time and space had not doused the flames of resentment she felt towards her Royce aunt. Aelyx frowned as he took in the look on his wife's face, exasperation colouring his tone, "It's been six years, Rhaenyra. You must let it go. Aedan and Alyssa have flourished in their fosterings, and whether you want to admit it or not, my mother was right to send them away."