As Dragonsong Filled the Air

It was said the screeches that emanated from the King's chambers could be heard all throughout Maegar's Holdfast as, for the first time in almost twenty years, Viserys Targaryen, First of His Name, put his foot down with his family.

Surprisingly, for the first time in those twenty years, his wife and his eldest daughter had found a common cause, fighting him. Viserys looked haggard but firm in his position as he watched with tired eyes. His wife and heir spat their excuses and pleaded with him with tear-filled eyes at his proclamation that it was time for his eldest children and grandchildren to do their duty and be fostered out to other noble houses.

Diana held back a sigh as she remained just behind the King's left shoulder, her hands clasped demurely in front of her, ignoring the accusing glares being shot at her by both furious mothers. They had both had a decade to make preparations for fostering and betrothal and had not. Diana would not feel guilty about stepping in, especially when it was her grandchildren in the crossfire if the plans went wrong.

"You cannot do this! My love, Viserys, please!" Alicent cried, kneeling before Viserys' chair, her brown doe eyes wide and rimmed with tears, "They are my children. Please, do not take them from me. I know I have disappointed you -"

"This is not a punishment, Alicent," Viserys said, his eyes soft as he patted his wife's tear-streaked face, "but recent events have opened my eyes to my negligence. We have grown too isolated; it was a mistake to only foster Daeron away in Oldtown with your relatives; we must do the same with the others."

"So you mean to interfere in my household, Father?" Rhaenyra spat, her anger making her bold as she stood tall and glared daggers at her father and King, "To once again use your family to fix your own mistakes?"

Viserys' eyes narrowed in consternation as he struggled to stand; face reddening with emotion, he roared, "Yes! My family, I am your King! And it's about time you both remembered that!"

Rhaenyra did not cower under his fury, but her eyes did drop a hint in shock at Viserys' show of backbone. Then, with both women seemingly cowed, Viserys heaved out a great sigh and fell back into his chair, his gaze shooting down to inspect the paper he and Diana had been speculating over for several weeks, trying to ensure it was as perfect as possible before showing it off to the rest of family and eventually the realm.

"Aemond will be fostered on Driftmark for no less than five years to mitigate the damage caused at Lady Laena's funeral and help bridge the gap between our families. Helaena will serve as part of Rhaenyra's court on Dragonstone and be one of her Ladies in Waiting until she is wed. Aegon-"

"No!" Alicent cried, her face pale in horror, "You cannot take them all! Viserys, I beg of you, do not take my eldest son from me!" Viserys looked exasperated as he shrugged off Alicent's talon-like grip on his hand as she came to stand, looming above him by leaning on his desk.

"If you had let me finish, you would know Aegon will remain in King's Landing," Alicent relaxed slightly before her eyes widened in horror. She looked ready to faint at her husband's subsequent proclamation, " - and serve as my brother Daemon's squire until he is knighted. He will serve in the Goldcloaks as the Lord Commander's Valet and learn some discipline."

"Ser Criston -"

"Ser Criston is not a respectable choice, and it has come to my attention that he pits my grandchildren against each other in the training yard. No, he will remain your sworn shield, but that is only due to the fondness I know you hold for him."

Alicent's gaze shot to Diana, hatred apparent in her eyes, but she backed down, dropping her head in a fraction of a nod before stepping back to clutch her skirts and glare down at the floor in self-pity.