Homeward Bound

115 AC

After nineteen years of marriage, Diana still wasn't used to the feeling of her stomach rising into her throat as Caraxes made yet another death-defying dive towards the sea, shrieking with happiness as his webbed feets skimmed the tops of the waves. Diana leaned back into her lord husband's chest, basking in the warmth he gave off as the chilly air bit at her ears and nose.

Perhaps she had gone soft after her many years spent further south. Hell, Westeros hadn't seen a winter in almost five years but going by the bite in the air, there might be another on its way. Staring forward, Diana held back tears as she took in the familiar coastlines of The Vale as they flew over the Bay of Crabs towards Gulltown and, beyond that, Runestone.

It had been five days since her eldest son was wedded and bedded, ready to take his position as Rhaenyra's husband and consort. Thankfully, the wedding had gone off without any more hitches, and the couple seemed blissfully happy, despite the sharks that circled them, searching for blood.

Every day, Diana heard the news of the queen searching for allies, sending messages and invitations to her Reachling relatives, offering them positions within the court to bolster the young queen consort's strength. A Florent ladies maid, a knight from Ashford, bit by bit, the Hightowers sought to gain ground by sheer size alone.

But Alicent Hightower wasn't the only one working to advance their faction. Even now, Diana was working, inviting young maidens from around the realm to become Rhaenyra's lady's maids and companions. With large doweries and royal connections as incentives, they came in droves, with lords sending offers for their daughters and female relatives.

The princess consort had narrowed the list down to seven possible ladies; Helena Strong, daughter of Lyonel Strong; Annebeth Tully, daughter of Elmo Tully; Sara Stark, daughter of Rickard Stark; Thalia Lannister, sister of Jason and Tyland Lannister; Sansara Tarly, sister of Alan Tarly; Vaella Velaryon, daughter of Vaemond Velaryon; and Bethany Baratheon, daughter of Boremund Baratheon. All prospective ladies had been sent ravens with invitations and dowry agreements for their male guardians to approve.

Within two moons, all of the ladies would be in the Red Keep and starting their roles as Crown Princess Rhaenyra's official companions and ladies in waiting, and through them, create new ties between the crown and the Great Houses of Westeros. Unfortunately, House Tyrell had no ladies of age to be a companion, but House Tarly was the military might of the Reach and was more than willing to step into the role.

Diana was pulled from her plotting when Daemon reached down to rub where her stomach bulged slightly, full of life. Before leaving King's Landing, Diana had sought out the maester to confirm her suspicions; She was with child. Her first child in over a decade and a half.

At almost five and thirty years of age, the maester had warned her that carrying a child to term and delivering successfully would be a challenge, but Diana could admit to missing the feeling of nursing a babe at her chest and hearing the pitter-patter of tiny feet.

Soon, with any luck, she would be a grandmother, but she missed having a child of her own.

Smiling sadly, Diana rubbed her hand over her husband's, clasping their fingers together while Daemon nuzzled at her neck. He had been thrilled when Diana told him the news, eager to celebrate, but Diana had wanted to hold off until she was showing when there was less chance of miscarriage.

As they began their descent back down through the clouds, Diana lost her battle against tears as she took in her childhood home. So large and grand, yet sombre and bleak with all the recent losses. Her parents had been dead for several years, her father going first of a burst heart, and her mother was not far behind with how lost the new widow had been in her grief.