Tourneys and Ties

Diana felt off-kilter as she watched the hall empty slowly, the drunken occupants having been dismissed after the commotion of the princess' sworn shield starting a brawl when he attacked a servant who accidentally bumped into him while serving drinks. The hall felt unnaturally silent except for the soft sobs coming from a bereaved Rhaenyra who stood in her son's embrace, her face red with barely contained sobs, her cheeks trekked with tears.

Despite the shock of learning of her older sister's demise, all had been well. The couple seemed enamoured with each other, the guest happy and entertained with wine, food and music, and then all had gone to hell when the screams had started.

The dornish man had looked feral as he'd laid into the young man, who now lay prone, half under a table. The young servant's once golden hair was soaked in blood from a head wound above his left eye, his other eye swollen shut from multiple punches. Diana hadn't seen much from her perch at the high table, but from several witness reports, it seemed the boy had hit his head on a table during his fall, making it impossible for him to defend himself from Ser Criston's assault.

Only her sons' interference stopped the rogue kingsguard, tackling the man and restraining him until the city watchmen and Daemon arrived to take custody. Unfortunately, Daemon was still gone, escorting the disgraced knight to the dungeons for questioning.

Maester Mellos was silent as he examined the boy, his hands shaky either from the wine he'd been drinking or the shock of the events in front of him. Then, slowly and methodically, he opened the boy's eyes, careful not to jostle him too much as he checked his pupillary response and then his pulse.

As the older man slowly sat up, his eyes were sad as he looked at the king and shook his head. At this, Rhaenyra's tears started anew as she buried her face into Aelyx's chest; he, on the other hand, looked murderous. An innocent man had been murdered at his wedding feast by someone the family should have been able to trust.

Feeling tears pool in her eyes, Diana looked around the room and frowned when she saw that the queen was conspicuously absent, her ostentatious green gown nowhere to be found. That would have to be a problem for another day, though Diana presumed her newfound house loyalty may have something to do with her father's abrupt dismissal as Hand.

Viserys didn't look well either, with his nose bleeding profusely and pale skin. He looked like her could barely stand up straight as he stared blankly at the mess in front of him. Concern had her reached over and gently gripping his white knuckles hand with hers, shaking it slightly to gain his attention.

"Perhaps we should send the children to bed, Your Grace," she murmured, voice soft to not further upset the clearly ill man.

The king blinked a couple times before he responded, his voice foggy as he replied, "Yes, yes. Send them to bed, Diana. I... I need to rest."

Nodding her head, Diana silently motioned several nearby Kingsguards to escort their king back to his rooms.

"Maester Mellos," she called, voice firm but sympathetic, "Perhaps you can attend to the king in his chambers. He's had a shock. As for the rest of you, to your chambers, please. This has been a most distressing course of events, and I think we all need to recuperate."

The elderly maester nodded as a guard helped him to his feet, and he walked towards the king. Then, speaking softly to the monarch, he and one of his acolytes escorted Viserys to his chambers. Once they were gone, Diana headed towards the children, frowning slightly when she noticed how messy and unkempt her daughter's hair was; as far as she knew, Alycia hadn't been near the fighting; why was she a mess?

"All of you, to your chambers. Everything will be alright."

"What about Ser Criston?" Rhaenyra whimpered, her voice hoarse from tears, "Why did he do this?"