I Think I Called the Midwife a C*nt

125 AC

Aelyx felt like his heart was in his throat as he ran through the halls of the Red Keep. In the distance, he could hear his wife's screams as she laboured to bring his fifth child into the world. In the ten years since they'd gotten married, Rhaenyra had proudly birthed four beautiful silver-haired children to buffer the ranks of the Targaryen dynasty and to serve as possible heirs after she ascended the Iron Throne.

As he finally skidded around the corner and into the corridor that led to his and Rhaenyra's private chambers in Maegar's Holdfast, he winced when he found a furious Alycia waiting for him, with her arms crossed and face pinched in irritation.

"Where the fuck have you been?" She snapped, reaching out to either slap or pinch him in reprimand, but Aelyx ducked out of her reach, trying and failing to get past her and into the chamber where Rhaenyra's grunts and cries of agony continued.

Dressed in crimson and gold, with her silver hair running in perfect curls down to the middle of her back, Alycia looked every bit the Lady Lannister she was. But, of course, that didn't mean the now mother of two didn't find small ways to rebel when she could. The dress was in style favoured by ladies of the West but had a gaping neckline that showed off her ample cleavage caused by birthing two children for her husband, Tyland Lannister.

"In the dragon pit with the children." Aelyx snarled, trying and failing to push past her, "Now move, so I can see my wife."

" Aelyx! "

The screech came from inside the chambers, stopping Alycia from making whatever scathing remark she had on the tip of her tongue. Rolling her eyes, the woman moved, allowing her older brother to pass before following him in where a panting Rhaenyra lay inside a tub full of lukewarm water, an army of midwives huddled around her, providing comfort and reassurance.

"Darling!" Aelyx called, coming to kneel beside his labouring wife, wincing when she took hold of his offered hand, squeezing it so tightly her nails cut into his skin and made his bones compress painfully.

" Where. Have. You. Been!? " Rhaenyra snarled, her voice harsh and breathless with exhaustion. Her beautiful silver hair was a mess around her head, soaked with sweat and barely held back by a leather hair tie, no doubt provided by one of the many midwives that had been attending to Nya's births since their first son Aedan had been nine moons after their wedding.

"With the children in the dragon pit, my love," Aelyx murmured soothingly, having been through his wife's hostile mood during the birthing bed before, "I came as soon as I heard the news. As we speak, the children are getting ready in their chambers for their new sibling."

"If he ever decides to arrive," Rhaenyra groaned, leaning back into the older midwife's chest as the woman coached her through another push. Her face contorted in agony as she grunted softly, trying not to scream and disturb the other occupants of the keep.

"He is stubborn, just like his mother," Aelyx agreed, wincing when she squeezed his hand so hard he felt the bones grinding beneath his skin. Fuck, she had a tight grip. Alycia came close and took her place on Rhaenyra's other side, dutifully wiping the labouring mother's brow with a wet cloth.

"One more push, princess," the younger midwife cried as she kneeled near Rhaenyra's feet, looking between her legs, "They're crowning! Push, milady! Push!"

Rhaenyra sobbed as she bore down, gasping for breath as the baby slowly but surely slipped from her body and out into the world. Aelyx watched with bated breath, his heart racing as the babe finally fell free into the awaiting midwife's arms.

There was a heart-wrenching moment when only silence followed the squelch of fluid and flesh before a cry filled the air as the babe sobbed for his mother. "A boy, princess!" The older midwife said, pride in her voice.