[CHAPTER 20]

MORRIS

I sat on the floor of the guestroom in tears looking at her pictures. This day was always the hardest for me. The anniversary of Crystal's death. Crystal was easily one of the most breathtaking women I had ever met. It was always something about her; she had this undeniably beautiful presence and she lit up the room whenever she walked in.

I remember the first day we met, it was like yesterday.

FLASHBACK..

"Ma I don't see the ricotta!" I exclaimed into the phone. My mom insisted on sending me to the store to get ricotta for her lasagna, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

"How hard can it be James, it has the word ricotta on the label!"

"I know ma but I can't find it." I said.

"Morris Jameson Chestnut, you better not show up to my house without the ricotta and you better get here in no more than half an hour." She said then quickly hung up.

I sighed inwardly and walked towards the cheese in search of the product.

"Hey sir?" I sweet voice filled my ears.

I turned around, stunned even more by her beauty.

"Hey do you need anything?"

"No, but you seemed to be upset and I wanted to help." She said smiling.

"Well thanks. I'm just looking for the ricotta." I said smiling back.

"Oh it's by the yogurt now, which I found dumb because it was always in the middle of the cheese. I just picked me up some to make some lasagna."

"What a coincidence, my mother is making lasagna and that's what I need ricotta for."

"Maybe it was fate." She giggled.

"Maybe." I replied.

"Well if there's nothing else." She said turning to walk away.

"Wait wait." I called after her. She turned around with a confused look on face

"Yes?"

"Is there any way I could get your number? You know if I can't find ricotta again." I mentally cursed myself for the lame line.

"It wasn't lame, I thought it was cute. Here's my number you know in case I need to find ricotta." She giggled and walked away. I must've said that out loud. How embarrassing but at least I got the number.

*****

I'll never forget that day..

TAMARA

I watched from the door as he cried into his hands. I wanted to comfort him, but something was telling me he needed to be alone.

It hurts immensely to see him breakdown like this. I found the pictures of her when we were moving. I guess he hid them because he didn't want me to feel bad. I don't per say, but I would never want to feel like I'm in second place to anyone. Dead or alive.

There are times that I think about my late husband, but I think about his feelings and I would never want him to feel inadequate or uncomfortable; like he has to compete with James, because he doesn't.

It was a hard pill to swallow, James being gone, but I found someone who I love unconditionally and I  wouldn't want to jeporadize that sulking over someone I used to love, but I know won't come back. I just wish he would do the same..