[CHAPTER 1]

TAMARA

It's currently 8:15 A.M. and I have an interview at nine. I had no babysitter for Ariela, so I was becoming hopeless. My car won't start for anything..I was convinced that it just wasn't meant to be.

On the verge of giving up, my phone rang just in time. It turned out to be my babysitter Melissa saying she could make it after all.

I quickly thanked her and proceeded to get dressed. I bought a new outfit specifically for this interview.

I fixed Ariela some cereal and we watched our basic cable until Melissa showed up. When she finally did it was 8:45. Luckily the bulding was only five minutes away. I asked her to give me a jump and she did happily, wishing me good luck. I kissed Ariela goodbye before I went on my way.

I arrived ten minutes later with five minutes to spare, I raced up the steps of the Law firm to the receptionist desk.

"Excuse me...Rachel?" I questioned out of breath reading her nametag. She looked at me briefly before responding with a simple "yes."

"I'm here for the position of secretary."

"For whom?"

"Mr. Chestnut." She simply nodded and gave me the number of the room.

"Mr. Chestnut hates people who are late, so if you do get the iob be on time." She gave me a genuine smile and I nodded before walking to find the office. By the time I made it, it was 9:10 A.M. and I was way late. I just really hoped he'll still consider me.

I walked into the room and was overtaken by his beauty. I hadn't realized I was staring until he cleared his throat.

"Sit please."

"Uh of course sir." I said and quickly sat down.

"You realize punctuality is a word right?"

"Yes sir I-."

"So you do own a watch or clock?"

"Certainly but-."

"Then there is no reason for you to be late! One thing I abhor is unprofessional people and that's all you're showing me right now." I sat back and let him rant for a moment until he spoke up. Even though the delivery was a little harsh, I knew he was right because professionalism is an important aspect when applying for a job.

"I see here it says you've only worked once at a daycare, and stopped in June 2008. Why is that?"

"I quit because my husband, who is now deceased, was in the army so we got shipped to a base in Jacksonville all while I was pregnant with my daughter."

"Okay, it also says you've only was able to get your associates degree in business, why did you not continue?"

"My daughter was only two at the time, so I was not able to get any further. If I do get this job, I will aim to get my masters."

"Insteresting..so what do you think you would could contribute to this company."

"Other than this time, I happen to be very punctual. I'm also very organized. I'm a people person and I am professional, despite what happened this morning, I was really out of it and I deeply apologize. I believe I am highly qualified for this position."

"You've made excellent points, but your tardiness is definitely a problem. I'll call you when I make my deliberation."

I smiled and walked out feeling semi-confident regardless off what happened this morning. All I know is that I need this job not just for me, but for Ariela.