🟢 Chapter 20 - Auklet 🟢

Auklet paced awkwardly around the palace. Coral sat beside her, scribbling furiously on a scroll.

Her webbed talons pattered on the smooth quartz floor, making a loud noise every time she took a step.

"Auklet, stop pacing. Please. It's getting distracting." Coral whispered.

Auklet whirled around. "But Mother, why can't I go back?"

"You know, Dear." Coral didn't even look up at her. "Jade Mountain is dangerous."

"It isn't!" Auklet protested, her voice rising into a shrill squeak.

"Dragonets are going missing. Auklet, it's safer here." Coral's voice was firm as she kept writing.

"I think it would be safer to put you in a harness." Coral sighed. "I didn't want to have to do this, but it's safer. I'm not losing a dragonet to this stupid school."

"What do you mean?" Auklet's tail swished the ground before coming to a stop. "I don't need a harness."

"You do, sweetie." Coral responded, standing up. "I'll have the Council make one as soon as possible."

Before Auklet could protest, her mother flew out of the castle, ducking through halls and flying out of the open windows.

"Stupid, stupid mother!" Auklet cursed, slamming her talons on the wooden ground. "Why is she like this?!"

In the fit of anger, Auklet stopped. "Dusky must be so mad..." She trailed off, her spine bristling in fear. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry-"

"Who are you saying sorry to?" A familiar, comforting voice sounded from down the hall.

Anemone.

Auklet ran to her sister, rushing the wind past her wings as she boosted herself up to give Anemone a hug. "Dusky. He just ended his metamorphosis, and I promised I'd be there..."

Anemone blinked. "Oh. You must like this dragonet a lot to be able to panic over him. I'm sure he's fine."

Auklet felt a bit reassured. "Are you sure?" She asked. Anemone shrugged.

"I'm not too sure. Dusky, you said his name was? Seems like my little sister has her first school crush."

Auklet's wings batted the air in shock. "No way! Ew!"

Anemone snickered under her breath. "Don't worry. I felt the same before I started dating Tamarin."

Auklet had heard of Tamarin, but had never met the RainWing. All she knew was that Anemone was dating her, and they met daily in the rainforest.

"I'm sure all will be fine." Anemone continued, waving a talon in the air. "Dusky will understand."

With a swift turn, Anemone waved bye and took off, leaving Auklet alone again. "Bye!"

"Bye." Auklet whispered, still feeling more alone than ever.