♦️ Chapter 2 - Cliff♦️

Cliff curled his tail around his back talons, flicking his wings angerly.

His mother had needed to go to see Queen Glory for something, and Ruby had left Cliff in the hatchery until she returned.

I'm too old for the hatchery. Cliff grumbled internally.

"Want to play?" An orange SkyWing dragonet squeaked, playfully looking at Cliff.

"No, thanks." Cliff tried his best to be friendly. "I'm not up to playing."

He dropped his head again as the dragonet scurried away, but his eyes lit up as the door to the hatchery swung open.

"Cliff!" Queen Ruby called. Cliff scrambled to his feet and bounded in strides towards his mother.

"What took you so long?" Cliff asked, twining his tail around Ruby's leg. "You took too long!" He scolded.

"Oh, come on." Ruby teased. "You didn't die, and now I'm back, and we get to spend time together."

Her gaze flashed before turning back to Cliff. "But we need to talk. Outside."

"Okay," Cliff agreed. Though what did Ruby have to tell him?

The two flew in silence, too quiet for Cliff. But soon the royal SkyWings reached the Throne Room, which was normally quiet during the middle of the day, surprisingly.

Ruby sat down infront of him, her eyes betraying nothing about her emotions. "Cliff, Queen Glory has asked for you to attend Jade Mountain. They..they need SkyWing students."

"And..?" Cliff pestered. "Am I going?" He asked. He didn't want to be seperated from Ruby, but also wanted an adventure.

Ruby sighed. "Yes. With a guard. A SkyWing will be going with you."

Cliff's heart dropped. "A guard? Who? I don't want a guard!" Cliff protested, flapping his wings.

Ruby's eyes softened. "Peril will be going with you."

"I don't care who it is! I can be alone, mom!" Cliff growled. He remembered Peril, and she wasn't bad. Don't get him wrong, there wasn't any problem with her firescales...but Cliff didn't want a stupid guard.

"Yes. Now take it or leave it." Ruby commanded. Cliff didn't know what to say.

If he went to Jade Mountain, he'd be on a new adventure. And he'd never met the other dragon tribes yet...

"Yes, mother. I'll go with Peril."

♦️♦️♦️

Cliff flew swiftly. Peril quietly flew beside him, her eyes focused on the mountain ahead. "Do you think you'll like Jade Mountain?" Peril asked.

Cliff didn't know how to respond. "It'll be a new experience." He decided to say that as to sound more...royal.

"I remember Turtle telling me about the first time he went to Jade Mountain. He said he was excited and nervous all at the same time." Peril's voice was quiet as if she was trying not to get lots of attention.

"Oh." Cliff responded simply. How else do you respond to that?

The two SkyWings flew in silence once again. The mountain was looking closer and closer with every wingbeat.

Today's the day, Cliff. Today's the day your new adventure starts.