63| Cold As You.

63 | Cold As You.

| 3rd POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Don't you dare." Sage scolded, pointing her finger at her sister.

"I dont know what you mean?" Rory shrugged, playing dumb. "Oh, yes you do. You're gonna invite grandma and grandpa to mom's graduation ceremony."

She gasped, "how'd you know?"

"I think you forget we're twins." Sage smiled.

"Why don't you think I should? I think it'll be great for mom, plus they'd love to be there." Rory reasoned.

Sage scoffed. "No, to both of those. Mom would absolutely hate it, grandma would get way too over the top about it, and grandpa would barley care. It's just gonna end up hurting everyone. If you wanna do it, go ahead. But leave me out of it."

Rory sighed, "fine, fine."

"Thank you." Her sister grinned.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I'll get it." Sage said, at the sound of the phone ringing.

"Hey, now, if that's Mick Jagger, hang up and blow the whistle I gave you." Lorelai said, taking another drink of her Martini.

Rory laughed, while Sage rolled her eyes. "Yes ma'am." She walked over to the phone, picking it up. "Hello," she said.

"Hi."

Sage's feet froze in place, her heartbeat seeming to pound faster even to her own ears.

"Hello?" Jess asked.

"Hi," she mumbled, her brain not fully able to process anything.

"Is this a bad time?"

"Um—no, just give me a second." She said. She lowered the phone, looking back at Rory and Lorelai.

"The music," she said. "I'll be right back."

Rory nodded, while Lorelai was too busy focusing on pouring her drink to even hear anything.

Sage quickly walked into her room, softly shutting the door. "Hi." She whispered, sitting down at her desk.

"You said that already, princess." He teased. Sage felt herself smile a bit. "You're right, sorry."

"So, what's up?" He asked.

"The sky." Sage replied. Jess gasped. "No way, I didn't know that."

She shrugged, "you learn something knew everyday."

"What have you been doing? I mean—where even are you? It doesn't sound like you're in a house." Sage pressed the phone to her ear, picking at the holes in her pants.

"Nothing much, just hanging out. In the park mostly." He replied.

"Central Park?"

"Washington Square Park. It's cool, though. It's where David Lee Roth got busted." Jess explained, smiling softly.

"Oh, right. All for a five dollar bag too? I mean come on, he could've done better." Sage sighed.

"That's what I'm saying."

"Sounds like you got a party going on there." Jess said, hearing the music.

"No, it's just my mom, Rory, and I." Sage told him, closing her eyes.

"Right."

There was a small moment of silence, but Sage didn't mind. Simply the feeling of knowing he was on the other end was more comfort than she had felt in week.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna go. This is long distance." Jess said, hating the words.

"Yeah, yeah, of course. Makes sense." She nodded. She bit her lip, taking a deep breath.

"Jess?"

"Sage." He responded.

"Are you okay?" She whispered.

No, he thought. "Yeah, I'm okay. Are you?" He held the book in his hand tighter, feeling as if it was connecting them somehow. The Great Gatsby.

"I am now." She nodded.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Your mom's graduation is tonight, right?" Maddy asked, walking beside Sage.

"Yeah," she nodded.

"I'm so sorry I can't make it, I really want to." She sighed, but Sage shook her head. "It's completely fine, don't worry."

"Tell her I said congratulations, yeah?"

"Yeah, of course." Sage mumbled, but her mind was somewhere else. She slowed down, making Maddy turn to her. "Is everything okay?"

No, no nothing was okay. Nothing at all.

What was she thinking? She couldn't do this. She couldn't just walk into school, and act like everything was fine. She'd been doing it for weeks, yes, but she couldn't. Not anymore.

"I have to go." She muttered.

"What?" Maddy asked, grabbing her hands. "Sage, what's wrong?"

She looked you, meeting her best friends eyes. Maddy's face fell as she quickly understood. She lowered her voice, "are you positive? "Because, Sage, I need you to be 100% sure about this."

She nodded, "I'm sure. You know I am."

Maddy sighed, nodding. "Okay."

And with that, she left.

What the hell am I doing? Sage thought.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺