46| Is It Over Now?

46 | Is It Over Now?

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I almost fell off the roof of my house trying to clean the rain gutters. So I have to have pancakes." Mom demanded.

"She's not wrong, it nearly looked like a scene from Cop Land." I nodded.

Luke groaned, crossing his arms as he kicked another box filled with Jess's things.

"Please? I'll help you shower when I become a super hero." Mom smiled.

"I did not need to hear that." I mumbled.

All of us looked to the left at the sound of the bathroom door opening, Jess walking out of it.

I felt my heart stumble a bit, my face dropping slightly.

"You've been in there for two hours." Luke said. "Yeah well, my hair just ain't bouncing and behaving today." Jess quipped.

"Hey," he said, looking at me.

"Hi." I mumbled.

I looked to the left, seeing one of many boxes of books. "Oh! Is that High Fidelity?" I asked, picking it up. "I haven't read it yet."

Jess nodded, his eyes on mine, "keep it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, sure." He moved around me, grabbing something.

"You know, there are other people living here too." Luke said, referring to the bathroom. "Huh. Learn something new everyday." Jess replied, glaring.

"Hey," I lightly smacked his chest, "be nice."

He sighed, mumbling. "Sorry."

"See you, later." He said. "Bye," I replied.

We had mostly figured things out. I knew we needed to slow down. A lot. We didn't really get to be friends for that long before we moved onto the occasionally kissing each other thing.

After a few small arguments, he agreed.

I looked back at Luke and mom as he left, both of them staring at each other, awkwardly.

"Well, his people skills are really improving." Mom said.

"He's trying." I defended.

"Go downstairs. I'll be there as soon as I can." Luke told us both, practically shoving us outside.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"You said you were gonna give Jess a chance, mom." I said, slowing down as we walked on the sidewalk.

"I have been, trust me. I resist the urge to tell him to get away from you multiple times per day. I ignore it when he's blatantly rude to everyone besides you. I didn't deeply consider murder when you told me about the fight. I am giving him many chances." Mom replied.

"Yeah, when it comes to me." I sighed. "I don't want you to tolerate him just because I see him a lot. I want you to like him. Or at least try to."

"And this," I smiled, "is the perfect opportunity."

"I'm not very comfortable with him, Sage. I know you said you guys are friends or whatever, but I really don't like him. Just because I trust him around you, does not mean I trust him." She responded, facing me.

"People are different once you get to know them. Remember when you first met Luke? You hated him! You even called him Duke for two years. Please, mom. I'm only asking you to try." I pleaded.

She huffed, debating. "Can I at least call him Tess for awhile?"

I grinned, "you could even call him Bess."

"But you'll give him the job?" I asked. "I'll give him the job." She nodded.

"Thank you," I said.

"You're welcome."

We walked in silence for a moment, her continuing to stare at me.

"Tell me something." She started. "Why is it so important to you that I like him if you're just friends?"

"Well, he's Luke's nephew. We like Luke, we eat at Luke's everyday, I see Jess often, even if he and I are just friends. So, we see him a lot. Sometimes even at our house. So, logically, it makes the most sense for you to at least be comfortable with his company." I explained.

"So that's the reason? He's related to Luke and you like him as a friend."

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" She asked, cluelessly.

"Say that. Like him as a friend. It sounded like you didn't believe me."

She scoffed, "that's because I don't. I really don't see how you two can go from being all close to now just friends."

I shrugged, "things are better this way. For both of us."

"Did he ever tell you why he flipped out?" She asked, beginning to walk again.

"Yeah," I sighed. "He tried to call his mom earlier that week, she heard his voice and immediately hung up. It really messed with him."

Mom took a deep breath, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "Well, I love you. When you're kissing boys or not."

I smiled, "I love you too."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺