23| Tied Together With a Smile.

23 | Tied Together With a Smile.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"And theories of compound interest, and that my head hurts from all the listening I do, even though I don't completely listen-" Dean rambled, Rory walking beside him with me shortly behind.

I was currently experiencing the utterly fascinating concept of third wheeling.

I didn't mind it, honestly, but that could be because I definitely wasn't paying attention in the slightest.

I kept my eyes darting back and forth between my notebook and the sidewalk, being very carefully not to end up face first on top of either. I have certainly learned my lesson. Multiple times

I looked up, hearing no more sounds of a moose squawking-or whatever they do.

"Where'd he go?" I asked, looking at Rory. She raised an eyebrow. "Were you not listening?"

"No, not at all." I said.

She smiled, rolling her eyes.

She looked over my shoulder and quickly back at me. "I'm gonna run into the bookstore while Dean's doing something for his boss. Stay right here, and I'll be back, okay?

"Yeah, yeah, sure." I said, mindlessly, as I ran my eyes over my flashcards.

Okay, okay, Sage. You got this.

Equilibrium. My head spun, trying to remember the word.

"The state in which all the forces on a body are exactly in balance so that the body does not move." I repeated softly, taking a moment, then flipping over the card. Bullseye.

Stoichiometry was the next one.

I thought for a moment, "describing the proportions between atoms in molecules and reactants, and/or products, in chemical reactions."

Boom. Literally.

"Kinetics." I muttered.

"The rate of a reaction." At the words, I turned around. "And factors that influence reaction rate."

Jess.

"Hm," I said, "I didn't know you understood basic division, much less physics." I was lying. We both knew it. He was smart. Very smart. Just because he didn't try in school didn't mean he was an idiot, regardless of the nickname.

"Well," he began, "I aim to please."

I scoffed, "clearly not."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He tilted his head. I shrugged, turning around, "nothing."

"No, hey, come on. Talk to me." He followed, stepping in front of me. "What did I do?"

"Nothing. Not to me, at least." I sighed. A small sense of relief washed through his features, as if he was afraid he hurt me somehow.