44| Sweeter Than Fiction.

44 | Sweeter Than Fiction.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Oh god," I groaned, "what are you doing here?"

Paris glared at me.

"Someones chatty," I mumbled, walking into the kitchen. "Hey! Sage, it's dad." Rory said, handing the phone out to me.

I looked down at it, my mouth feeling oddly dry. "Oh, um—I really have to go, just tell him I said hi or something—" I mumbled, quickly walking to a different room.

"I just told Rory I have to go somewhere so I don't have to talk to dad, I'm going for a walk." I told mom.

She sighed, but nodded. "He's gonna be here on Friday for Rory's debate though, kid."

I rolled my eyes, "yeah, okay whatever."

I quickly made my way outside, immediately relieved to be away from any phone that has my father on the other end of it.

I saw Maddy across the street, waving over at me. I smiled, walking over.

"Hi!" She said, giving me a hug. "Hey," I replied, grabbing her hand and pulling her along with me.

"I need more pens, you're coming with me." She nodded, "yes ma'am,"

"How's everyone doing?" She asked, skipping. "You literally spent the night yesterday?" I laughed, holding the door to the market open for her.

She shrugged, "yeah, but it's you guys. A lot can change in twenty four hours."

"Everyones good. My dad's apparently gonna be here on Friday." I said.

"See, a lot can change."

I walked into the back isle, grabbing a pack of pens. This time, it's the twenty five pack, so they should last at least two weeks.

"How's everything with you?" I asked her, watching as she grabbed a bottle of water.

"Pretty good. Dad's six months sober." She smiled.

"Maddy," I stopped walking, immediately pulling her in for a hug. She laughed, wrapping her arms around me.

"I'm so happy for you," I mumbled against her hair. "Me too. Things are amazing." I pulled away, smiles on both of our faces.

"Hi, Dean," I said, pushing down Maddy's hand when she tried to pay.

"Hey, Sage." He said scanning our items.

"You know, my sister misses her boyfriend." I teased. He sighed, "yeah I miss her too. Tell her I'm trying to get off, okay?"

I nodded, waving as we walked outside.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I hate being here when it's not completely necessary." I mumbled.

"That makes two of us," Rory agreed, pointing out where mom, Sookie, dad, and some other women were.

I followed shortly behind her, not walking nearly as fast as she was.

"Dad! You came." She smiled, hugging him. "Of course I did!"

"Sorry, we're still getting used to it." I said, forcing a smile. He sighed, doing the same. "Hey, kid." Much to my shock, he hugged me too.

I couldn't remember the last time he did that.

"Look who your dad brought," mom said, motioning to the women.

"This is Sherrie. Sherrie, this is Rory and Sage." He introduced, smiling.

"Oh, finally, finally." She said, grinning. "I am so beyond thrilled I can't tell you."

So don't?

"All he does is talk about you two. I couldn't wait to meet these amazing people." She said, nodding as she spoke.

"Well, they live up to the hype, let me tell you." Mom nudged us both.

"Is my face turning red?" Rory asked.

"Oh yeah, beet red."

"Like a tomato on heroine." I teased.

"I'm sorry. I put you both on the spot. I've just been really looking forward to this." Sherrie apologized. "No, it's okay." Rory and I said.

"Will you excuse us for a minute? Rory wanted to show us both something around the corner, here. We'll be right back." Mom told them.

"That's code for—" I began, but Rory stopped me. "Nope!"

"He brought Sherrie," Rory said, once we were out of earshot.

"I'm thinking pros and cons." I nodded, looking at Rory. "Pros," she began. "Great hair, smooth dress—"

"—could be counted as a con."

"You aren't wrong—"

"Guys!" Mom interrupted.

"Sorry." We muttered.

"Did you talk to her? Is she nice?" Rory asked. "She's a witch." Mom said.

"Fantastic," I raised my eyebrows.

"So, what do we do?"

"What do you mean?"

"We gotta put on our hostessing hats and set a game plan." Mom encouraged.

"She's not wrong." I shrugged, "I'm thinking something like The Killing Jar, we could be creative—"

"Sage! We are not killing her."

"Not yet, at least."

"Yeah."

"I guess it would be impolite if we didn't ask them to hang out with us." Rory sighed. "So, once again, what do we do?" I repeated.

"Vending machines?" Mom offered.

"Invite them to Luke's?" Rory suggested.

"She seem like a diner chick to you?" Mom gave her a look. I scoffed, "no, but it's Luke's? She'll deal."

"No, she's right." Rory groaned.

"Damn it."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺