Chapter 22: The Wolf V.S. The Vile

The City Gates, The Province Of Medina.....

       With swords at the ready, the warriors of Medina set off marching for the province of Nestra and to put an end to Tenuis the vile's campaign to conquer all the neighboring kingdoms following his gross betrayal and the vile murder of his father, King Milkus. It seemed to enrage Lycidas to no end to know that Tenuis had been so callous as to slay his kin in an attempt to carry out an ill-advised power grab. He looked forward to the moment he'd sink his blade into the blood traitor's soft cowardly flesh.

It was a difficult thing to leave his family behind every time he had to set out not knowing what each day would bring while he'd been locked in the struggles of war, but he entrusted them to Tyrus' capable hands and that was good enough for him. Lycidas bid his wife and expecting servant girl farewell as well as his son and daughter before heading up the army for the march on Nestra. Lena seemed saddened by his departure the most as she'd grown accustomed to sleeping in bed with him and Lady Mira as well as his tendency to seek her out for pleasure when he couldn't lie with his wife.

As the army made its exit from the streets of Medina, Lady Mira stood on the balcony of her estate as she watched her husband lead the warriors to what she knew to very likely be a well-fought victory. The servant girl Lena had been close by, a new favorite of hers since it was found out she was carrying Lycidas' fourth unborn child. She seemed worried for Lycidas and that alone amused Lady Mira.

It seemed the servant girl had taken a liking to her master, it was to be expected given the onset of hormones due to her newly discovered pregnancy. Milo stood proudly as he watched his father march with the warriors longing to one day join him in battle and lead them men as he did. Mirna was busy amusing herself with her mother's necklace fascinated by the sparkle of the jewels and trying to figure out how to best fit them into her tiny mouth as she attempted to eat them.

Nicodemus had not been that far from the age of a warrior, although the family much preferred him to learn the life of a scholar as a wise king was more valuable than a mighty one on any given day despite it not being out of the question to have a future king that had a bit of both in him.

The young prince watched his favored brother march out of Medina and lead his men to glory in their battle against the Kinslayer of Nestra. He did not doubt that Lycidas would be victorious as he'd been training with him for years to learn the art of the blade and the true meaning of being a warrior. King Myron had even applauded the progress he made as a result of it no doubt grooming him for the position of king if he so chose to fill the role that day.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Medina Encampment, Battle Field, The Province Of Nestra.....

Lycidas stood in his impressive battle gear made from the finest silver and fashioned in true Greco-Roman style as his keen eyes observed the crimson slickness that remained on his blade from the bowls of a fallen enemy, eager for the chance to take on Tenius The Vile. He had led his forces to the front gates of Nestra and war was being waged all around them. He had decapitated quite a few would-be assaultants spraying their blood all over himself and his armor as a result.

He stepped over their mangled blood-soaked bodies and continued amid the smoke and flying debris while his men sent molten catapults into the walls of Nestra's gate. The rumbling from the stone hitting stone as well as the clashing of blades in both triumph and desperation filled his ears as he stormed the minor opening in the gates that allowed him to venture inside. His lungs burned from the breath he'd been holding as he focused his efforts on cutting down oncoming soldiers who had dared charge in his direction.

One by one they fell to their swift yet pain-induced deaths via the blade of Lycidas The Wolf.

"IT IS THE WOLF!" shouted many a man not willing to have his head severed and his body mangled via the blade of the seemingly unstoppable force of nature in the form of The Second Prince of Medina. "RETREAT!"

Lycidas ignored the cowards having pressing business in the form of destroying the resident Kinslayer for the good of the province and to avenge a man he had highly respected. The rubble from the gates littered the courtyard as the second Prince of Medina made his way toward the castle where he had no doubt the coward Tenuis would be hiding as the majority of the fighting had commenced.

He had gotten only as far as the castle door before a brute of a man clad in black leather and wielding a powerful war ax made of refined steel attempted to ambush him. Lycidas glared at the fool who believed himself worthy to challenge him and noted the odd black hooded mask and the girth of his form and sloppily displayed belly.

He could hear the thunderous beating of the oversized man's heart as he charged forward not in the least confident in his apparent tactic to best the Prince Of Medina and while wishing to cause a distraction long enough for his liege to make his escape.

The thunderous steps and the unchained howl he gave off indicated weakness to the keen ears of the unimpressed Prince who simply plunged his blade into the rotund man's belly as he approached him ax held high in the air mid-strike.

Lycidas sliced the man's gut and stepped back as the ax fell onto him after his arms got weak and couldn't no longer keep up the charade of being capable of dealing damage. He chased after the swine Kinslayer and stormed the castle alone as his men were otherwise preoccupied with their foes and the numerous lines of them running up for the slaughter.

As he climbed the stone steps of the castle to make it to the throne room, Lycidas gripped his blade with certainty knowing this would be the final stand for the kingslayer and his twisted forces. His father had been correct in his assessment of attacking him full on as with his forces stretched then it provided a weakness in his defenses, a weakness that the wolf lurking just below the throne room in the form of the second Prince of Medina had been all too pleased to capitalize on.