Chapter 41

"I loved your proposal by the way," Meredith laughed.

Derek laughed too "not too corny for you I hope," as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well I said yes didn't I?" Meredith replied.

"I have wanted to propose to you for so long and remember that night at the spa?" Derek asked.

"How could I forget," Meredith smiled.

"Since then I have been thinking of a different type of proposal that would be spontaneous and us," Derek explained "When I turned around and saw you standing there... I ... it just seemed like the perfect time and place."

"Well it was definitely spontaneous and definitely us, since we love this beach..." Meredith smiled.

"That was what I thought too," Derek said "as long as you are sure?"

"I'm sure," Meredith smiled.

"Good, stay right there, I'll be back in a minute," Derek said as he kissed her again and ran up towards the house.

As soon as he opened the patio door, Beth ran straight out and headed straight for Meredith. He stood and watched for a minute before being bombarded by his parents. Derek simply told them "I'm going to get her ring," to which Carolyn was practically jumping for joy on the spot.

Ten minutes later Derek walked back down to the beach to find Meredith and Beth building a sandcastle. He sat down behind Meredith and whispered "I have something for you," and handed her the small box.

Meredith carefully opened the box and was stunned when she saw its contents.

"Derek this is your mother's ring, I can't..."

"Yes you can. This ring was my grandmother's and was given to dad when he proposed to mom and now he passed it on to me... it's yours now," Derek said as he placed it on her engagement finger and kissed her.

"I cannot wait to marry you Meredith Grey," Derek laughed.

"I cannot wait to marry you too Derek Shepherd," Meredith smiled.

They sat and watched Beth build her sandcastle when Derek looked at Meredith

"So what type of wedding would you like?" Derek asked.

"I haven't even thought about it," Meredith giggled "Adele and Richard are going to love us taking more time off for a honeymoon though."

Derek laughed and a thought entered his head. "We go to St Lucia in just under two weeks," Derek stated, "that is if you still want too..."

"God, I cannot wait," Meredith moaned.

"Seven days for me to apologise and grovel to you," Derek smiled.

"Oh how I will make you suffer," Meredith smirked.

They stood together arm in arm for a few minutes watching Beth playing and singing happily building her sandcastle.

Meredith was not like most girls who had dreamed and planned her wedding since she was little girl and quite frankly the last thing she wanted was some big the over the top affair that was months and years in the making.

"I take it you will want a honeymoon?" Meredith asked.

"Of course!" Derek replied as he raised an eyebrow and smiled.

"Are you thinking wedding venue or honeymoon destination?" Meredith asked.

"Both," Derek smiled.

"It is the perfect place for both... but I want Cristina and your family to be at the wedding," Meredith answered still smiling.