Chapter 18

Meredith stood at the counter in the breakfast room and looked down at Beth and Tuck playing happily in the corner when all of a sudden Beth came running over to her and clung on to her leg.

"What's the matter Beth?"

The next thing Meredith heard was two loud bangs followed by screaming. She knew instantly what had just happened.

"Marcie hit the panic button and get the children into the cot room now!" Meredith screamed.

She turned around and saw the door open. Meredith took a deep breath and feared the worst.

Melanie burst through the door "Oh my god Mer... he shot Gina... the kids..."

Melanie did not get a chance to finish her sentence. Meredith heard another loud bang and saw Melanie fall to ground.

Meredith knew who the shooter was – and that he was coming for her. She could hear him yelling "you won't let me see my son so I won't let you see yours"

Another gunshot rang out and then he was in the doorway.

Instinct took over. Everything happened in a matter of moments but it felt like an eternity to Meredith.

Her only thought was Beth and Tuck - she had to keep them safe. Derek and Bailey would never forgive her if something happened to them.

As Gary Harper burst into the room Meredith threw herself down to the ground pulling the two toddlers in tight to her chest.

All she could feel was pain when another gunshot rang out.

Meredith did not know which was worse – the sound of gunshots and screaming or the chilling sound of silence that followed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Derek pov"

Gunshots have been fired in the nursery"

As soon as Richard had said those words Derek ran. He had to get to Meredith and Beth.

He knew exactly who was responsible for this and he hoped that Gary Harper was dead by the time he got to the crèche.

Within seconds he was at the top at the stairs with Mark, Owen and another resident Alex Karev directly behind them... and then he was there... standing outside the nursery and he took a deep breath at the image in front of him. Derek felt Mark squeeze his shoulder and mutter "Jesus Christ".

Lying dead in front of them was one of the security guards.

Sitting along the corridor were four adults who Derek knew to be other parents were crying and shaking and screaming and trying to resuscitate someone.

Derek ran over – he could hear Bailey shouting in the background and saw the chief physically restraining her from going any further.

And then he heard it, he heard Meredith's voice.

"Somebody help me please..."

Meredith's pov

All Meredith could feel was pain in her right arm. Beth and Tuck were crying in her arms. She could hear moaning and then she realised that Melanie was still alive.

Mary burst through the adjoining door and froze at the image in front of her.

"Oh my god..."

"Mary... the kids..." Meredith asked as Beth clung to her side as she tried to move over and help Melanie.

"They're okay... just a few bumps, a few parents got hit... oh god Mer ... your bleeding." Mary yelled.

"I'm fine. Take Beth and Tuck, I need to help Melanie." Meredith yelled as she crawled to her friend who had been shot in the head. "Melanie you're going to be fine ... just stay with me..."