Miscommunications

Start from the beginning

What worries you, was how differently your emotions sometimes clashed. Where he was always so calm and poised, keeping his emotions to himself, you were always rather high strung and vocal about what you felt when you felt it. So undeniably, this caused some discomfort for your peace of mind.

As of late, you felt as though he constantly underestimated you. To keep you safe, perhaps, but didn't he know by now you could handle yourself?

One evening, you'd finally mustered up the mental strength to address this to him. He, of course, wanted you safe at all times. He loved you, he couldn't bear to lose you. But you knew you hadn't become a Captain by sheer luck. You knew what you were doing, and damnit if anyone thought you couldn't do your job. But you were nervous. Nervous that maybe...Maybe, he was right?

"Levi," you'd called out behind his office door, before swinging it open without invitation.

He looked exhausted, sitting behind his desk with a hand in his hair and a quill gripped tightly between his fingers.

"Y/N," he greeted you absentmindedly, still focused on the document before him.

"Is this a bad time? Or...Can we talk for a moment?" You asked, keeping your voice and tone soft.

"Of course, I have time. Always do for you," he sighed, but you noticed it was out of slight relief at being distracted from the work that laid before him. "What?"

Finding yourself softly smiling at his attention aimed your way, you shook your head to focus.

"I just wanted to ask...Do you trust me?"

He stared up at you for a long moment, his face unreadable.

"Are the MP's shitty lackies? Of course I trust you," he scoffed, attempting to overlook his off the wall joke in hopes of lightening your obviously nervous mood.

"Well, yeah, but..." You sighed. "You tend to shove those expedition folders away whenever I walk into the room. You don't tell me everything that happens behind the closed doors of a meeting. I get you may not wanna worry me. And just...protect me...But we both know I'm capable. We both know I can handle things. I'm not a Captain for nothing." You finally managed to scoff out.

Levi sighed, rubbing a hand down his brow.

"Can you? I know your strength outside the walls. But what if your emotional strength? If I told you about every happening within the walls I've been informed of, you might just shit yourself with worry."

"Excuse me?" You scoffed, rolling your eyes. "I'm the wife of humanity's strongest soldier. If I can handle you, I can handle anything."

"Oh please, you cried alongside Hange when those damn titan experiments got killed. If you can't even handle that, what makes you think you could handle the truths of how this world is run? Let me deal with that. You just focus on leading your squad and coming back alive from every expedition."

His words sent a familiar spark of doubt through you. You knew you could handle yourself, but if Levi doubted you could...We're you really as good as you thought you might be? Was your rank as Captain falsely given?

The anxiety of intrusive thoughts started to eat you alive, and before you knew it you were shaking in your boots with both fear and sudden anger.

As anxiety bubbled up in your gut, it started to cloud your mind as well as your eyes as they glossed over with unshed tears.

"I see," you managed to blurt out. "Am I really just something fun for you to come back to after meetings and expeditions? Am I not qualified for the title you gave me as Captain? If my husband doesn't even trust my emotional state, what use even am I?"