Chapter 20 - Honesty

Ghost

"They were actually the ones that told us that you two had the missiles, they swore to it." I say. She takes a seat and brings the paper closer to her, reading through it quickly.

"Valeria would never do that." She scoffs. She throws the paper back on the table and I pick it up, lining it up with others so I can start taking pictures.

"She's a cartel leader, you don't know what she's capable of." I say, not bothering to look up at her.

"But I do." She says, standing up from her chair suddenly. I slowly look up at her, noticing her quick breathing. My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

Why is she getting so defensive?

"No, you don't." I state. "You saw what she wanted you to see, you don't know what was going on behind closed doors. She's a criminal."

"She's my best friend! And she's the only family I have left." She says loudly. I stare at her, trying to decipher what it is she just said. She presses her lips into a thin line, a look of regret on her face.

"Wait, what?" I ask. She drops back down on the chair and looks down at the floor.

"I never said anything to you guys because if you knew how close I was to Valeria you'd only see me as a criminal." She says quietly.

"That's not true." I say. I walk around the table and stand right in front of her. Now that I'm closer I can see the tears welling up in her eyes, a single one escaping and rolling down her cheek.

"Really? Look how you're judging her right now. I bet if I didn't lie I'd still be locked in that interrogation room, probably even tortured for information." She says.

As much as I want to say that's not true I'd be lying if I did. The shadows told us these missiles were dangerous, and we had to work together to get them back. No matter what we had to do.

My silence is enough of an answer for her. She shakes her head slightly and stands up, walking away and putting on heels shows she left by the door.

"You can't seriously be mad at me. You were the one that's been lying this whole time. How do I know you're being honest when you say that you don't know where Valeria is? Or maybe you're working with Oscar." I say.

Her eyebrows shoot up and her mouth drops open. A smile slowly creeps on her face and she laughs. "You've got to be joking." She says, standing up from the ground.

"No Marina, I'm not. Do you really expect me to have no reaction after you've been lying this whole time?" I ask. She's about to answer but Price cuts us off.

"You guys have been in there for a while, what's going on?" He says through the earpiece.

"We're in his office, found some paperwork. I'm taking pictures and we'll be out." I say, looking at Marina the whole time.

I walk back behind the desk, deciding to focus on the job at hand and deal with this later.

-

The helicopter lands down on the roof, Marina squeezing her eyes shut until the blades slow down.

The whole way back we didn't speak to each other, barely making eye contact. Most of the anger has been replaced with confusion, but it doesn't take away the feeling of betrayal I have in my chest.

Marina is the first one to undo her seatbelt and step out of the helicopter, walking inside right away. Price tries to talk to her and she completely ignores him.

"I'll watch after her tonight." I tell him.

"Is she okay?" He asks, a look of concern on his face.

"Yeah, just isn't used to all this you know." I tell him. He nods his head and pats me on the shoulder.

I walk inside and down the stairs, stopping outside her door and knocking twice. I give it a couple seconds before I try the doorknob, opening the door.

I look inside and see her sitting on the edge of the bed, quickly wiping tears off her face. The cat make up from earlier is smudged all over her face and hands, which I'm sure she doesn't notice in the dark room.

"What do you want?" She asks, her voice cracking.

"I'm not here to fight." I tell her. I close the door behind me and slowly walk towards her, staying a couple feet away.

She looks at me for a couple seconds before looking down at her hands and picking at her fingers. I walk over and sit next to her, leaving enough space between us so that I don't make her uncomfortable.

"Then, what do you want?" She asks again, a sterner tone in her voice.

I think about it for a second but can't seem to find an answer. While I'm still disappointed at her lying I can't help but feel the need to know the truth. To know who she really is.

"Answers, I guess." I say.

She brings up her legs and crosses them, pulling the blanket over herself to cover up her bare skin. A silence falls between us, neither of us knowing what to say.

"Our parents were friends before we were born, so I grew up with her. Naturally we became best friends." She says, not bothering to make eye contact with me while she talks.

I nod my head to show her that I'm listening but don't say anything, wanting her to share only what she's comfortable with.

"I went to school and she went into the military. That's when she got involved with the cartel. When I graduated and she got discharged I went to go work with her. She didn't want me to at first, loved me too much to be involved, but I persuaded her." She says.

"So you only lied about how close you are with her?" I ask. She looks up at me and I can see a slight gloss in her eyes.

"Yes. I promise that's it." She says. She switches positions and faces me, sitting on her heels. I shift myself slightly to face her more. "I felt like if you asked me where she was and I said I didn't know none of you would've believed me. You'd think I was just trying to protect her."

I think about her answer and sigh, knowing she's not wrong. Price wouldn't have let her off the hook so easily if he knew how close they were, possibly would've even used it against her if things got ugly.

"You're right, it would've been seen that way. The thing is that you withholding information goes against your contract." I tell her, taking her hand in mine and caressing the back of it with my thumb. "You're gonna have to tell Price."

Her eyes widen a bit and her hand squeezes mine. I bring up my other hand and place it on her cheek. "Hey, don't worry. Just be honest, he won't be mad if you just tell him why you did it."

"Okay." She says quietly. "You know...you don't look too bad in this outfit." She places a finger in the middle of my chest and traces it down slowly. I laugh and grab her hand, putting it back down.

"It's late, we should get some sleep." I say, a small pout forming on her face. She gets up and adjusts herself under the sheets while I take off my jacket, shoes, and the red skull mask.

I get in bed after her, extending my arm and letting her crawl in. She places a kiss on my mouth over the balaclava and sets her head on my chest.

"Maybe I'll put it on again some other day." I say, a smile forming on her lips. I bend down and kiss the top of her head, leaning back and closing my eyes.

——————————————

A/N

Sorry I haven't updated in a while!! I have been so busy and after the mw3 campaign release I decided to write a soap one shot which will be up soon hopefully lol love you all thank you for reading :)