CHAPTER FOUR: PAST EVENTS

When the virus broke out, scientists immediately tried to find a cure for it, testing with different chemicals and treatments. Unfortunately however they couldn't find a cure for it, because the virus was always changing, it never staying the same. When they did find a cure, the virus just became immune to it within a couple of days. They could never get the virus to die. At this point it had already been five months, and about six hundred thousand lives had already been taken. The group of scientists were out of ideas, and had no idea how to contain or stop this virus. One scientist however, came up with the idea that we do more than just kill the virus. We improve on human abilities. "We're always trying to fix little problems with us, but what if we fix ourselves entirely?" exclaimed Dr. Kismic. He had the idea of taking the human body and making it close to perfect. He took traits from animals that help them survive, like Speed. Agility. Night vision. And advanced hearing, and suggested that they mix those in with humans, along with making them of a new flesh. 

A flesh that would never rot or peal, and would be almost indestructible to any of the elements. Latex. A technologically advanced and stronger form of Latex, that could keep the body at a stable temperature, and protect it from illnesses and diseases. Dr. Kismic was enthusiastic about his idea, but it wasn't accepted by the others, and they rejected his idea, calling it "too wild" or "too dangerous". Those words and rejections didn't mean a thing to him, and he kept working on his idea in secret. As he did, the virus was starting to go away, and most countries got rid of the virus. The only place that had the virus at this point was the whole of America. The scientists had almost found a stable cure for the virus. As this was going on, Dr. Kismic was in his lab, working on his idea. He had perfected the Latex idea, and loaded it into a syringe. He was now going to test this innovation... on himself. 

He injected the syringe, and immediately it began to take effect. I can't say it was pleasant though. It ripped and grew through his body, fixing and taking out what wasn't needed. Eventually from all the pain he passed out. When he woke up, he found himself choking, and he couldn't breathe. Thankfully he acquired a mask which he made to stabilize breathing. He looked at himself in the mirror, and found that his cure worked. He had completely changed, and he felt stronger than ever. When he went up to the other scientists, he found most of them had died, and there was now only one of them left. When he walked up to the last scientist, the scientist told him what had happened. The cure they made didn't work, the entire population of America died, and now he had the virus himself. Dr. Kismic looked down at the ill man and said: "Don't worry Modac. As one book closes, another one will open."

And so after about two days, Dr. Modac died, and Dr. Kismic continued to work on his idea. Later on in time he stopped calling himself Kismic, and simply referred to himself as Dr. K. He's filled this building with his experiments. You'd think he would have gone out and taken over the rest of the world with his Latexes, but he hasn't. Somethings holding him back. Unfortunately that's as much as I can tell you. I don't know much of what's happening nowadays." The Elder One said. I look at him with interest, and I wanna ask him a load of questions. "Wow.. I missed a lot..." I say with a little sadness. I then ask: "hmm. Where is Dr. K in the building? Maybe I could speak with him?" The Elder One looks down at me, and says with a bit of worry in his voice: "are you sure you'd like to do that Colin? While he had the best intentions for humanity, he is a pretty cold man. He doesn't care for much, and he might not listen to you if what you'll say is against his way of thinking." 

"It's ok. I just wanna ask him if there's a way out of here. He shouldn't be mad at me for that right?" I say jokingly. The Elder One looks down at me for a moment, before speaking again saying: "As you wish Colin, but please be careful. The Latexes see humans as things with imperfections, and they will try to make you like them in order to make you perfect. I know someone who will gladly protect you as go to meet with Dr. K. Would you like a protector Colin?" I think for a second, and then say: "yeah, I guess I'd like someone to look after me. Who are they?" The Elder one smiles at me, saying: "good. He is relative of mine, and he takes great care and interest in things. His name is Puro."