Chapter 16: Unforgettable Names and Mommy Issues

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry "

"It's okay....It's just that she remembered my name even though I wasn't the best student. She  saw something in me and spoke so well of me I had to stop and think, are we talking about the same person?"she chuckles, light.

" I'll always be grateful for her even if she doesn't remember me now. Because she knew my name when nobody else cared to learn it."

I want to tell Olivia that she's unforgettable in my eyes. That this passed year the name that has ringed over and over in my heart and mind has been...

Olivia

Olivia

Olivia

Olivia

Olivia.

I want to tell her that it's not that I'm good at remembering names but the moment she told me hers ;it's like my heart engraved the moment in time telling me—You're gonna wanna remember this.

I want to tell her that I know that almost nobody at school knows who Olivia is; that whenever I mentioned her they would do this weird thing with their eyes brows and try to think of her....

I want to tell her that hearing the name Olivia will never be the same for me again.

Even if she leaves.

I'll hear someone calling out to an Olivia in the crowd and I'll look back, nostalgia touching my heart.

I'll meet many other Olivia's and saying her name on them will feel wrong.

I'll hear a future friend of mine telling me of this beautiful girl he met named Olivia and how they got married and I'll wonder why I didn't get to to keep my Olivia.

I want to tell her that as painful as it is, she can't really blame people for forgetting her name. I forget alot people's names and she probably does the same.

We all forget names.

But oneday we'll meet this person(these people )who tells us their name and we won't know it at the time but we'll never forget their name.

I believe we all have unforgettable names  written on our hearts.

Mine is Olivia.

❄️❄️❄️

It's completely dark. The  television which plays reruns of  Everybody hates Chris the only thing emanating light.

We sit on the grey couch, dressed in our pajamas, our feet on the coffee table because there hasn't been a woman in the house for a really long time. The satisfying gwonch gwonch sounds fill the room.

The cornflakes bowls on our laps  with the coldest milk are what make this moment golden.

"Mkhulu, is your life feeling spiced up?" I ask, chewing my crunchy cornflakes.

"Don't talk with your mouth full boy. I raised you better."

His dark eyes dance with amusement.

"You know what. This is the best decision I've made in awhile."

"I agree."

We continue watching the show, laughing at the exaggerated jokes and how cheap Julius is and relatable Chris is—well to me.

I can't decide if I like it better when the cornflakes are soggy or crunchy.
It's like choosing between two great loves. I just can't!

I decide to quickly text both Olivia and Dominique with this dilemma and their texts come in minutes later.