Chapter 47: Scientists and Dancing

❄️❄️❄️

"-So I just sit here?" I asked Mr Milano again, gesturing to the small space by the door of his storeroom.

It was finally after school, I was back in his class ready to find out what I said yes to. Mr Milano was packing his things preparing to leave.

"Yes. Sit there, and the girl is already in the store room."

"Oh."

When he said that I became weirdly aware of my voice. It got quiet. Mr Milano laughed, staring at my facial expression.

"When did she come in?"

"A few minutes before you did."

So if I was minutes earlier, I thought to myself, then I would see her.

Instead I whispered: "Does she know who I am?"

Mr Milano laughed again. I don't know why he was so amused about the situation.

"You don't have to whisper. I won't say your name, neither will I say hers."

"Wait. So we won't know each other's names?"

"What don't you understand about anonymous?"

Anonymous, I thought of answering.

"I'll leave you with my keys. You lock up when you leave okay."

"I'm touched, you trust me."

"It's nothing," Mr Milano waves it off.

"What about the girl?Will she be locked in?"

"No, the storeroom has another door that leads to the other side so you won't be bumping into each other."

I wasn't sure if that was inconvenient or convenient, yet.

"Cool."

Mr Milano started leaving and I was freaking out for some reason.

"What do I say?" I whispered frantically, clutching his arm.

Mr Milano's amusement only grew. "Have you ever heard of the word Hello?"

I scoffed. " You know what I mean sir."

"You're a scientist." Mr Milano said and it's the way he said it. The way he always did, affirming my dreams like I already made it.

"Scientists are prepared for the unprepared. It's not an experiment if you already know the outcome. You only have a Hypothesis and then you walk into the situation with it and you come out with a conclusion."

His words for some reason calmed me.

"Ok." I still didn't know what I was agreeing to.

"You're studying the theory of love and not just in high school because as you'll soon learn. Real love cannot be bound."

And then he left, shutting the door behind him.

The classroom had never been so quiet. So still.

I could hear myself breathe. I exhaled and all my nerves turned into intrigue again.I walked up to the spot, taking a seat on the floor with my back to the door.

I tried to picture the girl with her back to this same door but it was really hard. It still felt like there was no one there at all.

All I could see was the empty classroom, not any girl, so picturing her there was brain straining.

Clearing my throat exaggeratedly loud I finally spoke. "Hello...from the otherside."

I laughed at my little joke, hoping she would get it but she didn't laugh.