Chapter 35: High School Drama and Distance

“ Take me to space! Take me to Mars! Take me-”

“—Dominique, I told you that we're going to the grocery store.” I chuckle, swerving the car to the left.

I drove to Dominique’s house first. The moment I told him that I drove  all alone he was beyond shocked, his jaw dropping.

Before I could finish speaking he ran down the stairs and out the house, ignoring his mother's scolding about not running in the house.

I walked out after him, watching him look into Mkhulu's car, his green eyes scrutinizing the windows like Mkhulu had shrunk and he fell in-between the seats.

“You actually drove here!” He gave me a hug.

I told him about how I wanted to drive Olivia and him around and we'd go to the grocery store later and Dominique’s excitement only grew.

He's the friend that's always happy for me. The friend that celebrates me even for the smallest wins.

Now here we are, two best friends on the open road. My heart feels light and from the bright smile on Dominique’s face I can tell it's an emanation of his heart.

He sticks his arm out the window, letting the wind ripple through his skin. “ I can't wait to get my driver's license.”

“Why haven't you?”

“Procrastination. I keep saying I'll do it but then I get lazy. I didn't know you have to take a test in which you write the answers to the questions. I thought it was just hands on the wheels then you get your driver's license.”

I laugh.

“Ok but you're getting it next year. When have you heard of a scientist who couldn't drive a car?”

“Fine but you're paying for my lessons.”

“With my imaginary money and my imaginary bank account.”

“You're too kind.” Dominique plays along.

“Can I play some music?” Dominique doesn't even wait for my answer before he starts flipping through the radio of the car.

After a few minutes of indecision, an jazz song comes up and Dominique to my surprise turns up the music.

It's loud, the rhythm flying out of the car's windows.

The musician's voice is a smooth velvety tone,  unique  to my  ears as he sings with emotion but keeping in time with the beat making for a good song.

Dominique bobs his head and sways to the rhythm of the song and I just watch him, amused.

“You listen to jazz?”

“I listen to my heart.”

I laugh. He continues dancing weirdly and it makes me laugh even more.

The song emanates loudly from the radio, it's rhythm catchy and the lyrics easy to learn on the go.

Even though it's my first time hearing this song I can hear that Dominique’s belting out the wrong lyrics.

He pauses in the parts he gets stuck on, adding new words of his own and it doesn't even make sense to the song.

It only amuses me more as he sings the wrong lyrics despite how easy the song is to learn.

But it's still weird Dominique doesn't listen to jazz. I don't even think he understands the genre jazz. I try to make sense of all this.

“Who introduced you to this song Dom Dom?”

He stops dancing for a moment, his green eyes flashing with something,the smile still present on his face but more tender. “ I heard someone listening to it and got home and searched the song up and now I'm hooked.”