Chapter 24 - Just really in touch with my feelings

Tw: sister is mean, blood, guts, gore, sex jokes.

"You ghouls are a constant thorn in my side," Sister hissed. The windows of the chapel had fallen into darkness.

The clergy people all gathered and huddled together in the pews. The remaining statues surrounded them. Wrinkled lambs bleated and hissed. Cherubs sat in the rafters giggling and citing twilight.

Sister Maria sat with hands clasped in Brother Lindin's. This was every bit the perversion of the springtime ritual held two weeks prior. Mads inhaled choppy, placing herself between Lidia and a lamb with teeth like knives.

On the dias ahead, Copia was stripped bare, left in nothing but his pants. Crimson painted his sternum and blotted his face. His hair-dusted chest still heaved as he was tied to a cross. It was like a Christian Easter scene—suppose it was the time for it. Though the date was stolen, belief didn't care for semantics.

Dew and Swiss were on their knees towards the front of their pack as if they could protect them in any way. They were all rumpled, and Ifrit had left all their uniforms burnt—if two packs of ghouls weren't enough, they had to contend with angelic babies, speedy blessed sheep and stone-holy abominations.

"I do not understand your loyalty to my son; I want to bring about a war that would change the very face of the earthy plane," She frowned.

"You're giddy if you think we actually want hell on earth," Aeth muttered, holding a deep wound on his thigh closed, "We spend most of our lives trying to get out of there."

"Imagine a hell where you are at the top," she implored. "Doesn't it make sense?"

"Not how hell works," Sodo hissed through a mouthful of clots.

"You're all not very imaginative, are you?" she sighed, holding the bridge of her nose.

"You understand you're like a bug chirping to a falcon nest, right?" Cirrus groaned; she'd taken a heavy hit protecting Aurora from Omega's force magic. She bled from her eyes and throat, cradled by Cumulus.

"You are impossible—why can't you be like the other packs?"

The other packs lined the room, watching to be called on.

"You're just mad we fucked your brood mother," Swiss cocked his head and grinned—his teeth an eerie pink. For his remark, he received a swift kick to the mouth by Bell. "Fucking hell, ask me to dinner first," Swiss groaned, holding his teeth in. Sometimes, if a ghoul was lucky, the teeth might retake root and save them from growing a new set.

"It is unfortunate... three Papas wasted..." Sister growled and paced.

"What to do? I could force you into working for the new clergy or desummon you for more—deserving ghouls."

There came crashing in the hallway outside.

Sister rolled her eyes.

It sounded like pottery was being smashed, and stone angels flickered amid escape from the grand doors. You came barging in; you weren't a tactic ghoul; you were 'ride the big plant into the chapel' ghoul 'with a pickaxe you found in the forest'—ghoul.

"Cardinal!" Mads yelled; she must have had no idea that you'd been summoned again.

"Fucking hell, Dew," Cirrus groaned as if she could blame Dew for you unceremoniously giving yourself up like you weren't their last fucking hope.

You swung and took out a large angel, its head rolling to land before Sister Imperator. You hopped off Henry, and he began climbing the rafters, searching for cherubs.