Chapter 9 - Ghoner

Tw: oh no, he jealous

The humming followed you for the next week before the dance. At times, he sang softly to himself. He'd also taken to sighing a lot. Sighing was something he often did when he was disgruntled or wanted you to know the air you took up to breathe was a waste of good oxygen—but this was something other. Sometimes, it was joined with an almost smile.

You couldn't figure it out. Something had really tempered him. You were suddenly more aware of him in the hallways and dining hall, watched if his attention turned to Mari, but it never seemed to. He was playing some kind of long game with her.

Maybe he was lulling you into a false sense of security—perhaps he was planning something so big for the springtime ritual that he was savouring himself. Surely, by then, he'd become so pent up with his usual foulness that he'd just explode.

Whatever it was, it took up so much of your mind that you had forgotten all the eggshells around your feet. You'd forgotten you were even pissed off at the rest of the ghouls.

"Rain?" You asked in the dining lineup. You smelt the boar you'd hunted two days prior, which was still immaculate.

"Huh?" He jumped.

You couldn't blame him; for you to speak to any of them was pretty unexpected in the last weeks. "What the fuck is Sodo up to?—it's gotta be something..."

Rain shifted his gaze and cocked his head at the little ghoul sitting at the far side of the room. His doe eyes lingered, "huh..."

"He's not acting....... Really fucking weird to you? Like he isn't planning the destruction of the planet and everyone on it? Because that's when you know he has to be planning something."

"Whatever he is doing, it seems it's working," a gentle, coaxing smile spread over him, looking down at you. "He's got you paranoid," he chuckled in good humour.

You grimaced. "Well, I fucking hate it—hey, Lindin~" you sparkled as you reached the front of the line.

"What can I do you for, Cardinal?" Lin grinned back at you.

"Do me...for?" You only smiled innocently.

"I... I know what you're doing..." the brother looked away, blushing.

"And what's that~?"

"I'm working..."

"I can see that~" Your eyes trailed his apron before flickering to meet his brown-eyed gaze.

"Menace."

"Not what you usually call me, Lin~~" you twittered and shone your teeth. "Do me for whatever you think I can handle," you shrugged and offered your tray.

"And for your friend?" He looked down as he said it, and you realised he was talking about Rain.

"Oh..." Rain also looked down, "uh, I'd like whatever they're having..." he referred to you with his horns.

You wouldn't mistake yourself in thinking Rain was the sweetest thing above and below this plane of existence. As always, Lin gave you extra meat, and Rain received the same.

"Thank you," the water demon muttered softly to the two of you before he moved towards his kin.

"He's the best of them, Cardinal... I'm... I'm glad to see you with one of them," Lin told you.

"Oh, that's not..." you frowned. You registered that he seemed sad. "Hey, I'm never going anywhere, Lindin. Never."

He seemed appeased with that.