Chapter 4 - Elk strawberry jam

Tw: little gore--ghouls are gross

You sang softly to yourself, "per aspera ad inferni~~" was a good loop. You could go on forever; you just got louder. No one came into the greenhouse on days like these. You were thankful for the break. It had been an awful fucking week in the basement.

You wiped bloody hands on your white cassock.

Crimson drip, drip, dripped in your pail beneath the steel table. Still happily singing, you twirled to take up your knife. You made the first incision in the gut, separating the skin from the layer of fat beneath and then pried with the carving knife for a neat hide.

You could have done it cleaner; you were perfectly drenched in sticky, red residue—but it called to something carnal, like a ghoul's face mask on a spa day. It just felt pretty.

You made quick work of the skin and folded it on your other table. Then, it was time to disassemble. It was a big boy. "Looks like we're eating elk for the next three days..." you chirped and went back to humming.

You looked at the knife for a moment, then shook your head. Why deny yourself the pleasure? You took a hand to the upper foreleg of the bull, braced your other palm against its ribcage, pulled and twisted. The leg came away with a satisfying 'crack', and you swiftly brought the joint over your knee to snap backwards. You peeled the meat and muscle for one tray for dinner and placed the bones in a bucket. "And a little for me~" you found a tender spot and munched on it.

There was a stifled sound like a groan.

Your head whipped around. "Wut teh fwuck are yoo doing ere?" you munched. Face utterly covered in what looked like elk strawberry jam.

"The basement—I got tired of waiting," it looked like Sodo wanted to be angrier but was distracted.

You frowned. You were sure Sodomiser would probably want to eat you alive for making him wait. But he wasn't currently eating you. "Huh." You swallowed and looked from him to the elk. "Well, I'm not fucking sharing—I hunt twice a week, Monday and Thursday, everyone knows that," well, at least most of the humans seemed to; they knew to stay clear of the greenhouse because it looked a bit like a massacre in there.

"I—didn't."

"Clearly. Where do you think the kitchens get meat from?" You saw the last strip of meat and cleaned it from the bone with your teeth. "Blood and bone for the plants, hide for leather work, meat for the clergy, look, just give me ten."

"Ten?"

"To debone this thing," you turned and made short work of cracking off a hind leg before tearing it in half.

He made another stifled sound.

"Satan, does no one feed you?" you muttered and tossed a piece of thigh at him like he was a dog.

You heard a 'huh' then the sounds of ghoulish chomping. You heard Sodo come in closer to watch you work. "You're an earth demon, right—?"

"Bingo," You sighed, flipped the carcass to deal with the other legs, and cracked the ribcage down the centre. All the while, he leered like a hungry cat.

"I see."

"Yep." You tossed him shittier cuts of meat. This better not become a habit of his. You knew of some strays that would visit butchers for the same reason. At least he was quiet—not that you felt comfortable enough to sing anymore.

"Is this where you wear white?" He muttered as you finally took the head off.

You looked down at yourself. It did look quite lovely. "Added bonus."