"It looks good," I added, and he flashed his famous lopsided grin.

I looked at his profile and brought my hand to the back of his neck. The longer hair on top blended into the shorter ones, cut professionally, and I let my fingers run through it. He seemed to tense up, but when he turned to look at me, there was a small smile spread across his lips.

We forgot ourselves in each other's eyes and neither of us looked away. My fingers unconsciously ran up and down, sometimes pulling at the longer strands.

Everything lasted only a few seconds. Until something moved in the corner of my eye and I threw a double glance at the road only to realize that something jumped in front of our car. A small moment of carelessness had been enough.

"Jungkook, watch out!" I yelled before shock could consume me, and Jungkook hit the brakes full force, causing us to be thrown forward before the car came to a stop.

The screeching tires still echoed in my ears, my hand now off Jungkook's head and holding onto the dashboard. My heart was pounding in my throat and my breath was as if trapped.

I hadn't heard or felt our car hit anything, but it had all settled so quickly that I could be wrong. The car was an SUV which was why I couldn't see what was in front.

"Please tell me it wasn't a child." Jungkook rasped heavily, his voice so rough I knew he had had to push himself to get the words to come out. I felt his throat dry out just like mine.

Tears of shock gathered in my eyes but I blinked them away. "I think it was. I don't know." It felt like it wasn't me but someone else speaking for me.

"Fuck, no. God, please, no." he cursed and before I could catch my breath, Jungkook was already shooting out of the car.

I didn't know how I managed it, but I found myself ripping open the door and jogging around the car on wobbly legs. I almost fell to my knees at the thought of what scene I might witness.

But reassurance and a thousand other feelings flooded me when I found Jungkook kneeling on the ground just a few inches from the car, a small child pressed against his chest. The girl was crying hysterically and it broke my heart into countless pieces.

"Shh. You're okay. I'm so sorry." repeated Jungkook so many times that it became a chant. I could see how worried and scared he was just by looking at his face.

The girl continued to cry into Jungkook's chest, her little legs trembling with fear. In her hand, she held tightly to a teddy, but her clothes were clean and otherwise, she seemed to bear no injuries. I breathed another sigh of relief.

As much as my high heels and skirt would allow, I crouched down beside the two of them and placed a reassuring hand on the girl's back, rubbing it up and down. Jungkook's eyes met mine and terror and anger burned in his brown orbs.

Not anger toward me or the girl, I could tell. He was disappointed in himself and was probably letting so many thoughts of guilt swirl in his head right now, his jaw completely clenched that it seemed painful.

After a few minutes of assuring hugs, Jungkook pulled back to face the girl. She now just sniffled and wiped her chubby cheeks with the hand that wasn't holding her teddy.

She was so cute. Her dark skin was soft and her light brown eyes shone under the bright sun overhead. The pink dress had straps of velvet fabric and her tights polkadots. Someone had tied her curly short hair into a pigtail on top of her head.

"Does anything hurt?" asked Jungkook after the girl completely calmed down.

"The car was loud. My ears hurts," she answered without hesitation. "And I was scared."