༺ 18 ༻

Reva

Reva

I was lying on my stomach, stirring, when another knock reached my ears. I mumbled something under my breath, falling back to sleep, but the knocking interrupted that once again.

Before I had a chance to open my eyes and grasp what was going on, I heard a familiar male voice curse, filled with hoarseness, deepness, and grogginess, and the next moment the bed lowered with a weight.

"What the—" my mind was still half asleep, but my sentence was interrupted.

"Come in." Jungkook's voice now sounded directly behind me and I quickly began to dispel the fog. My vision cleared and I was almost blinded by the bright light streaming through the balcony door.

The next instant the door opened slowly and I tried to swallow the dry desert in my throat as I tried to sit up with my sluggish muscles. Dalrae's head appeared cautiously in the doorway and then it clicked into place.

"Good morning," Dalrae said then, comically still standing in the doorway. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"It's okay," Jungkook replied, his warmth now radiating to me. He was close. Too close. "Did you want something?"

"Reva and I had plans to have brunch and then go shopping," she explained. Dalrae looked to me and smiled the sweet smile I found on her lips very often. "I texted you, but you didn't reply, so I thought I'd check on you."

We had agreed to go shopping together today to look for dresses for the upcoming event in two weeks. Like every year, the Jeons held their notorious "ball" this spring, to which all of the old-money society were invited.

It was probably the highlight of the Jeon family and very important especially for Mrs.Jeon. It basically created opportunities for mingling, drinking, and bragging. I didn't know exactly when this tradition had started, but it went back as far as I could think.

Although we as Matokai had not been invited before, the bond between Jungkook and me probably brought an end to it now. Despite the letdown for last year's celebration - due to the obvious reasons - I guessed that by the end of that day, not that many people had found out about the scandal.

Dalrae was still condemned with side-eyes whenever the subject came up at the dinner table, and yet preparations were in full swing. The maids were more stressed than ever and Mrs.Jeon was doing her best to make sure that everything went as planned this time.

Wiping the remaining sleep from my eye, I reached for my phone and sure enough, three messages filled my screen. "Sorry, I didn't check it." The clock read ten in the morning. "I kind of slept in without meaning to."

"Yeah, we were up most of the night." Jungkook rasped. His leg was dangerously close to my butt and the statement only made it worse, because I saw Dalrae shifting weirdly from one foot to the other.