chapter 24: "best friends" only go so far

Jake squeezes Sunghoon's shoulders unconsciously — an old habit resurfacing — and peeks at the envelope the latter's holding. The realization hits and he takes off his hands.

"It's a corporate card," Sunghoon says, showing a surprised reaction along with the other members.

"There's no limit, right?" Ni-Ki asks.

"Of course," Jake replies, taking the notebook out of his hands.

They're currently filming a special edition for EN O'Clock, called EN-Diary. In this segment, they're unravelling a narrative from a notebook ("a diary") filled with tasks they must complete in order to lead them somewhere, at the end.

The group's split in two teams: Jake, Sunghoon, Ni-Ki and Heeseung on one team, while Jay, Sunoo and Jungwon on the other. They're following different paths, but they're supposed to meet at the final destination.

For their team, the first stop is at a theme park. Unfortunately for Jake and his motion sickness, the diary sends them on the spinning disco ride and on the rollercoaster. The staff lets him sit it out if he wants, but Jake doesn't want to miss all the fun.

The spinning disco leaves Jake a little light headed, yet it's not enough to keep him from going on the rollercoaster.
Heeseung and Ni-Ki are the first ones to take a seat in the back because the camera's been placed there by the staff. Jake joins them while Sunghoon hesitates.

"Let's gooo," Ni-Ki pumps up.

"It's totally safe," Jake tells Sunghoon. He's aware of the latter's fear of heights standing in his way.

"It looks scary. Ah, I hate going on rides," Sunghoon still ponders.

"Just ride with us, hyung," Ni-Ki leans on the railing, waiting.

"This isn't that scary. I'm not good with rides either," Jake tries to reassure him and for a second, Sunghoon seems to consider it.

"Wait, wait!" Sunghoon almost sits down before getting out again.

"Hyung!" Ni-Ki whines, shaking his head.

"The safety bar makes it safe," Heeseung says, but Sunghoon's looking at Jake.

"It doesn't go as high as you think. Come on, let's do this," Jake smiles and though a bit reluctant, he offers Sunghoon his hand. "Together," he mouths, only for the boy to hear.

The moment Sunghoon takes his hand, it sends an electrifying buzz in Jake's body. It feels like it's been ages since the last time they've held hands.
But, seconds later, Sunghoon lets go and the buzz fizzles out, leaving Jake feeling empty.

The ride however, causes Jake dizziness and upsets his stomach a bit, so he's not eager to ride a second time. He comes down with Heeseung while Ni-Ki and (surprisingly) Sunghoon go again. He's glad that Sunghoon seems to have enjoyed it.

Do-Il hands Jake a carbonated drink to curb his nausea, which he drinks delighted.

After Sunghoon and Ni-Ki come down as well, the staff announces they'll be taking a break from filming and they're free to roam around for a bit, before heading to the next stop, the restaurant, for a delicious lunch.