chapter 14: it's the little moments that count

2022
Anaheim, CA, USA
2nd of October

"This arena is huge, everyone. We'll be doing the rehearsal and soundcheck quickly." Sunghoon says to the camera he's currently holding.

The seven boys are at the Honda Center, a concert venue in Anaheim, where they'll be performing in a few hours. It's the first stop on the U.S. leg of their first ever world tour, Manifesto. They started with with two concerts in Seoul, two weeks ago, which were amazing, so Sunghoon has no doubts that this one will turn out the same, if not even better. The number of people attending today exceeds the one for both their Seoul concerts, which he finds incredible. It's incredible that so many people are coming to see them.

"I think it's going to be insane," the last thing Sunghoon tells the camera before shutting it off.

Occasionally, they film vlogs as extra content for fans, but it's mostly when they're doing fun and interesting activities in their spare time. Sunghoon is not always in the mood to pick up the camera to film himself, and he sometimes think it's awkward, but it's part of the job. Sometimes he enjoys it, sometimes he wishes wouldn't have to do it.

He sees Jake vlogging around with Ni-Ki, and they wave at him playfully, which makes Sunghoon chuckle. It's always amusing when these two are doing something together.
One of their managers approaches to tell Sunghoon that it's time to eat before rehearsal starts, and he gestures Jake and and Ni-Ki to come as well.

Backstage, delicious food is served, but due to being on a tight schedule, they're in a hurry to finish it.
The rehearsal begins with volume adjustments for their microphones and in ear checks, and continues with dancing, once all the members are in positions for the first song, Given-Taken. They're going through three songs for it, and three for the soundcheck, which will actually be done in front of some fans.

As they're dancing, Sunghoon notices a man towards the back of the stage, doing something, but he isn't quite sure what. He's probably fixing some piece of equipment, so Sunghoon doesn't pay him attention. He can't anyway, since he has to focus on his singing and dancing.

However, when they get to the final song, there's a split second in which Sunghoon glimpses at something on the stage floor. Then, in the next moment, his eyes widen when he sees Jake slipping on it, and stumbling backwards. Thankfully, Jungwon catches his arm and steadies him, so he doesn't fall. 

As soon as the song ends and the members check up on Jake, Sunghoon goes to directly to the spot where Jake almost fell.

"Why is there a stack of cables on the stage?" Sunghoon picks it up and furrows his eyebrows. Although it's not a big stack, it's enough to cause a potential injury,

He goes to the front of the stage and gives it to one of their staff members, while the members also get closer to him.

"Oh, I'll take that." someone speaks in English, and Sunghoon thinks it was the man he saw earlier on the stage.

"I was changing some lights and I accidentally threw them without looking," he says, but Sunghoon barely understands anything since he doesn't know much English.

"Don't worry about it," Jake smiles, and this time, Sunghoon understands the phrase. Jake is always nice and kind to everyone, even when he almost suffered an accident because of others carelessness. Maybe that's his only flaw.