chapter 19: a recipe for disaster

Sunghoon thinks the weather is quite cold, windy and cloudy to be having a field, but the staff have planned it and rented the venue weeks in advance, so cancelling it isn't an option. They're shooting for EN O'Clock, playing a bunch of different sports and hopefully, nobody will catch a cold.
Prior to starting filming, Sunghoon joins Heeseung, Jake and Ni-Ki in a short game of soccer, to warm up. He's never been good at it, not like the three of them, but at least he's passing the ball randomly, and moving his body.

"Sunghoon hyung, watch out!" Ni-Ki calls out, but it's too late for Sunghoon to avoid the flying ball, which hits him in the face. Ouch.

"Shit," Sunghoon hears Jake curse as he rubs the left part of his face.

"You okay?" Jake and Heeseung come straightaway, and Sunghoon nods. He can feel a bump forming on his forehead, though.

"I'm so sorry! That was meant for Jake hyung, but I guess the wind had other plans," Ni-Ki frowns, but Sunghoon shakes his head, assuring him.

"Don't worry, Ni-Ki, I know it wasn't intentional."

"Let me see," Jake removes Sunghoon's hand away from his forehead, and the three stare at him as if he grew a horn, although it doesn't hurt so bad.

"Does it look that bad?"

"No..." Heeseung and Ni-Ki trail off and look the other away, which confirms the complete opposite.

"Maybe the staff has some ice you could put on it,"Jake smiles out of pity and hauls Sunghoon away with him.

When one of the staff sees them approaching the changing room they've been provided with at the venue, she says something to a man, who leaves right as they come in.

"Sunghoon-ssi, we haven't even started filming yet," the woman sighs and shakes her head, disappointed that he managed to get in trouble already.

"It was an accident," Jake speaks first.

"I figured that much," she sneers.

"Here," the man who left earlier returns with a pack of ice and gives it to Sunghoon who thanks her.

"That bump better disappear in fifteen minutes," the staff warns and he too, wishes for that.

"You can go back to playing soccer if you want," Sunghoon tells Jake, knowing they left in the middle of the game.

"I need to preserve some of my energy for the actual games," Jake flashes his infectious smile and for a brief moment, Sunghoon genuinely wishes Jay was right.

Flashback

After a full day of skiing, Sunghoon's father drops the three of them off at the dorm. Heeseung goes to his room while Jake heads straight to shower and get ready for bed. Sunghoon, on the other hand, passes by the living room where Ni-Ki's wearing his headphones and playing games, barely acknowledging him, and walks into the kitchen.

"Welcome back," Jay greets him while cooking something. "Should I make some for you too?"

"No, my father took us to dinner," Sunghoon replies as he sits down at the table. "Sunoo and Jungwon haven't arrived yet?" he proceeds to ask since they went home to visit their families today.