chapter 7: "a couple"

The end of the year comes faster than anticipated and brings along various award shows and music festivals that require them to prepare a bunch of different performances.

For the KBS Song Festival, in particular, they were presented with the opportunity to collaborate with TXT, for a special stage — covering famous k-pop songs belonging to the legends that came before them. The TXT members are very friendly and warm, so it's easy to get befriend and get along with. Although they had filmed a variety episode together, before Enhypen's debut, it didn't leave time for much bonding.

Nowadays, they occasionally see each other in the company, but both groups are busy doing their own thing, and they don't have a chance to talk much.

Heeseung is the only one who is friends with all the TXT members, as they trained together, but he is closest to Beomgyu because they are the same age and share common friends.

The collaboration stage was a success, and they received various praises from different idols that night. As it turned out, the TXT members, especially Yeonjun, have a lot of friends, and they dropped by their fitting room to express their admiration. So, by association, Enhypen received compliments as well, which were very much appreciated.

However, for Sunghoon, the best part of the festival was the live audience that was permitted to be present with the condition of wearing masks. Seeing the fans in person cheer for them was rewarding.

Tonight, they are currently attending the last music festival of the year, SBS Gayo Daejun. Jungwon and Sunoo have been chosen to represent the group in the opening song, among other idols. Being Christmas Day itself, they all sing 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' to put everyone in a jolly mood.

Following the opening ceremony, the boys are the third group set to perform their title track Tamed-Dashed and a carol version of Just A Little Bit.

Once they finish their performance, as there's no closing ceremony, the members return backstage to change and go home, except for Sunghoon. He has been nominated for the "Best Couple Award" (for a variety show) in the rookie category, together with Wonyoung, at the KBS Entertainment Awards, which are being held on the same night.

"We'll be watching you, hyung," Sunoo grins as they're walking towards the cars.

"Good luck!" the members cheer.

"Thanks," Sunghoon manages to say before they split up in different cars.

Sunghoon isn't too excited to take part in it, especially because he doesn't think they'll win anyway. He'd much rather prefer to go home and relax instead. But that's not a viable possibility, so here he is, being driven to the venue.

When Sunghoon arrives, he notices a lot of cars that keep on coming, and the venue rapidly filling up with people. He's escorted to a fitting room along with his manager, where he has to wait for the red-carpet interview and then the main show.

"Do you have the questions for the interview?" Sunghoon hears Do-Il ask one of the venue staff.

"We don't, unfortunately, but no worries," the staff glances at Sunghoon, and he can see a smile behind her mask. "The interviewer will ask a couple of things about your nomination, and that's it."

"You'll manage it," Do-Il approaches Sunghoon, with a defeated look on his face, and taps his shoulder in assurance.

Sunghoon wants to believe him.

———

After more than an hour of waiting around, Sunghoon is called to go on the red carpet. He and Wonyoung are among the last ones.