BC89: Bait (Heroes)-2

Start from the beginning

"Well, she's got a point," Pyrrha said. "We cannot forget that there may be good left even in these people."

"One thought about the trap," Shine said, "I suppose you will have thought of this already, but it's easier to catch the pirates than the tribe itself. The pirates are less involved in the worst of this, so they likely will be more careless. And you know where they will show up--they have to operate through the places you work in too. They probably can't take you to the tribe's hideout, but they can get you close. I'd start with them. No doubt Watts can help with that."

"Noted," Cinder said flatly.

"Well...enough about this," Shine said. "Tell me the other news. Especially you two." She looked at Emerald and Mercury, who smiled.

Really, they were acting so happy that it almost distracted the others from how dire the Menagerie situation had gone...though everyone was still upset about it. Emerald couldn't forget it, but at least she had some consolation.

Royal left the house they were visiting in not long after that.

Wally went with him, to get some fresh air he said.

"So how's it going, man?" he asked. "All good?"

"It wouldn't be all good," Royal said.

"Yeah, but...I mean, I heard you had some in depth stuff," Wally said.

"I found out more about my family," Royal said. "I think, anyway. Do you still keep in touch with Ozpin?"

"Uh...we do, but we try not to ask him about this world," Wally said. "Let him make a clean break. Is that what you were going to ask?"

"It was," Royal said.

"Maybe in this case it's okay," Wally said. "It's not that big a deal. But I think he's lost a lot of memory of the past. Still, if it's around Alicia... Wait, why not just ask her? How stupid am I?"

"Maybe both of them," Royal said. "After all, she might have missed some parts after she...left... So are they...still together?"

"Yeah," Wally said. "Happily married now, I think."

"She really was able to get past him doing that to her?" Royal said.

"Should you talk, man?" Wally said. "Anyway, she knew it was the curse. She's a cool lady."

Royal sighed. "About that...I think I'm reaching some kind of tipping point with Cinder."

"In a good way?" Wally asked.

"Well, someone told her something," Royal said. "I think she knows already, you know? She's not stupid. But she won't go there unless I come out with it, and I don't know. I need to explain myself, but the timing of this isn't great"

"It never is, trust me," Wally said. "But it happens."

"I was hoping maybe you'd have some insight," Royal said.

"I've never understood Cinder that well," Wally said. "We're friends and all, but she always thought I was dumb."

"I don't think she does, actually."

"Well...I think the real question is are you serious about wanting her?" Wally said. "She's got some complications, and I don't mean her personality. That can grow on you. But she's in a lot of danger. It's like dating a superhero--it's not for everyone. Shine is cool about it, but she also has a dangerous job, and she gets why it's demanding."

"I have that too," Royal said. "Couldn't you just as easily turn it the other way around?"

"I guess that's true," Wally said. "Well, some people like danger. I kind of do...though as I get a little older and have a family, it's not much of a rush anymore."