BC33: Falling Up (Cinder and Co.)-5

[Opener is "Air Catcher"--21 pilots]

The next day, Winter called Cinder and Royal both to her office.

"A stroke of luck--that is, a blessing," she said. 

"Are you still hung up over that word?" Cinder thought it was dumb.

"Shut up," Winter said. She looked a little pale this morning.

"Are you all right, Commander?" Royal asked.

"Just little under the weather still," Winter said.

"Still?" Royal said. "How long have you been sick?"

"It's not important," Winter said. "I'm fine. Anyway, the news. I contacted Headmaster Theodore in Vacuo again. They have more ships than we do there now, thanks to all that trade with Vale they do. They just had one of their own pilots retire, and they don't have a replacement yet. He offered to loan it to us if you'd pick up his routes also."

"For Vacuo? That's a little out of our way," Royal said.

"It is," Winter said. "But the deliveries are less frequent there. You can use it till your ship is repaired--the replacement wiring is the most complicated, but the body was mostly intact, and that's the most expensive part for us to do. Still, it'll take weeks. I'd hate to lost all that time, and you'd hate to lose all that pay, I assume."

"I could survive without it, but I'd rather not have to," Royal said. "Maybe I'd make a little more flying for Vacuo. Though fuel..."

"They'll cover fuel while you're there. This is the best offer we have," Winter said. "Eventually they'll want the ship back and registered to their own fliers, but until they have one, they'd rather not have it just sit collecting dust, especially in the desert. Only you have to go today."

"Today?" Royal said.

"We have one flight going to Vacuo today, dropping off ice," Winter said.

Ice both in dust form and otherwise, was the most valuable commodity to deliver to Vacuo.

"But what about me?" Cinder was sick of her "vacation".

"I thought you'd want to go home," Winter said, politely enough. "We have deliveries from Vacuo to here, but if Captain Zapato wants to drop you off on the way, I'd allow that. It's not that far away."

"Technically it's out of my way but not that much," Royal said. "I don't mind the miles."

"I want to go as soon as possible," Cinder said.

"Our short hospitality been worn out?" Winter said.

"It's.... You know perfectly well I can't hang around here," Cinder said.

"It was a joke," Winter said. "A habit I'm unwillingly acquiring from my new extended family.... It's unprofessional. I apologize."

"A joke here and there never hurt no one's reputation, Lieutenant Schnee," Royal said.

"That had better have been a joke, Captain," Winter said.

He winked.

"You know--" Cinder leaped at her chance to get back at Royal for his big-mouthed comments about her. "--Zapato here is a fan of yours, Winter."

"Hey--" Royal began.

"I'm not in the mood for games, Cinder," Winter said.

"I'm quite serious--" Cinder imitated Winter's formal tone. "--Madame. You inspired him. Tell her about it." With a smug look at Royal.