219: Give In To Hate

Pyrrha was returned to the others, to their great relief.

"We worried they would kill you," Weiss said.

"But you're okay!" Nora grabbed her too tightly.

"I seem to be," Pyrrha gasped. "He tried to get me to give up. I almost believed him--something about it being selfish to want to be alive again, and I didn't deserve it."

"That's stupid," Cinder remarked.

They looked at her strangely.

"I mean that it's no business of his," Cinder said. "It's not like this was ever based off worthiness for those gods. Not from the story you told us."

"Funny, because I thought of what you told me at the time," Pyrrha said dryly, "that I wasn't worthy of such power."

"Who was talking about power?" Cinder sniffed. "I thought we were talking about being alive. Don't confuse things."

"You are such a b----," Mercury said.

"I think that was her trying to be nice," Pyrrha said. "But... none of this was ever about deserve. Though... well, you all don't think that people will become so discontented with losing loved ones over this?"

"It never happened with Ozpin," Qrow said. "I can't say I ever really thought about it."

"I guess it could happen," Blake said. "But there are reasons, right? And... I think we really wouldn't wish it on everyone when we consider that they'd have to die again. It would definitely have to be someone who'd be okay with that, like you. I guess Torchwick also. But there's some people who'd never want that."

"Yes... funny how none of that came to mind," Pyrrha said. "Oddly, no one asked about it when I told my story in Beacon. I think they didn't know if they bought it or not. I really prefer to stop talking about it."

"Get used to it. The rest of your life, that's all anyone is going to ask you about," Cinder said. "It's a novelty."

"Perhaps... Still, not everyone will like it," Pyrrha mused. "I suppose, though, in the end, people being disappointed with the answer is not... the biggest issue. I mean, people will be disappointed with anything. We can't just live our lives by it."

[Something people seem to forget when they make judgments about what is and is not a good idea.]

"I wouldn't worry about it," Yang said. "The gods are just pissed that your whole existence proves that they're shallow jerks. And they couldn't kill you again, so I guess that about answers our questions, except for one thing: Where is my Mom, Winter, the DJs, and Salem and Ozpin?"

"And Oscar," Ruby said.

"I feel like it's a bad sign that they haven't shown up yet," Nora said. 

"I still think they're keeping the DJs away from us," Theo said. "How could they test them? They're not from this world... if we even are in our world anymore."

"I don't see Jaune either," Pyrrha said.

"Oh, he has a different choice." Suddenly the god of darkness was there.

"Hey, what are you doing back here?" Yang held up her hands.

"Careful, Yang." Qrow grabbed her arm.

"There are other ways of restoring balance," the god of darkness said. "Something must be accomplished here, and we're not done with you yet, girl." He meant Pyrrha.

"Why her and not me?" Roman wondered.

Neo elbowed him to shut up.

"We'll deal with you later," the god said to him.