CHAPTER 11

August pushed open the weighty library doors, her thoughts awash with concern. Two long days had elapsed since Jack's last response, leaving her increasingly anxious about his well-being and perplexed by his ominous silence.

"Is he unwell?"

"Does he not wants to work on this project with me anymore?"

An onslaught of questions besieged her mind as she ventured out into the crisp afternoon air, she decided to approach one of Jack's friends tomorrow to inquire about him.

As she reached for her phone to call her driver, August felt a rush of anxiety that seemed to freeze her heart. Her apprehension deepened when she found herself face to face with two stern police officers blocking her way. Shivers ran down her spine as she tried to figure out why they were here. August had never been in trouble with the law before, so this situation was bewildering.

"Is there an issue, officers?" August inquired, her voice quivering with disquiet.

The taller officer exchanged a furtive glance with his partner before redirecting his attention to August. "Miss Willson, we require your presence at the police station," he intoned with an unyielding seriousness.

"But, why?" August asked, her confidence unwavering in the belief that she hadn't entangled herself in any unlawful affairs.

"It's related to the disappearance of Mr. Jackson Davis," August's eyes widened in stark disbelief. 

"J-Jack," her voice trembled, barely able to articulate her shock. 

August's fear grew as she agreed to go with them, her mind racing, her worry for Jack at the forefront of her thoughts.

Once they arrived at the station, the officers wasted no time in getting to the point. "We're looking for Jack," the shorter officer said, his gaze piercing. "Do you know where he is?"

The question took August by surprise, but she responded with candor, "I haven't heard from him in two days. The last time I saw him was at the coffee shop."

"Why were you at a coffee shop?" one of the officers inquired.

August replied, "It was a rainy evening, and we sought shelter in a nearby cafe."

The officer persisted, "Evenings, you say? But school usually ends around 3 in the afternoon, correct, Miss. Willson? What were the two of you doing? By any chance, Miss. Willson, are you Mr. Davis's girlfriend?"

"No, we're just project partners, nothing more," August answered, her voice trembling under the weight of their scrutiny.

The relentless barrage of questions from the officers left August bewildered, her heart pounding as she struggled to comprehend why she was being treated with such suspicion.

As the interrogation heightened, the police station's entrance exploded open, and two anguished figures stormed in. Jack's parents, Mr. Johnathan Davis and his wife, Mrs. Jennifer Davis, entered, their faces contorted with despair. Jennifer's grip on August's arm was unyielding, wrenching her away with fury etched in her eyes.

"Where is our son, and what have you done to him?" Jennifer demanded, her voice brimming with desperation.

August was petrified, her quivering voice attempting to elucidate, "I don't know where Jack is. I haven't seen him since the coffee shop. I swear I don't know where he is."

Jennifer erupted, "you fucking wench, you liar, what the hell did you do to my son, you witch" Her rage propelled her to violently pull at August until a female officer intervened, separating them.