The sky was just a swirling mass of dark, stormy clouds outside and the tree branches were bending like they could snap right off. It was alarming how much power the wind could hold but I digress, not allowing myself to be distracted.

"You're going to get us kicked out."

"Sure, they'll kick us out right in the center of a hurricane." He mumbled with sarcasm, blowing more smoke my way but then his phone started ringing and he practically pounced on it.

"Mom?" He tossed the cigarette out of the window without checking where it landed. "I've been calling you for hours! Why don't you ever pick up your phone?"

I slammed the frame closed and he frowned at the loud sound I made.

"Jordan I've been busy."

Our eyes locked from across the room and I probably conveyed judgement to him. His phone was so loud I could hear every word she said and he knew it.

"I was worried about you, I thought something happened."

"Oh Jordan you know how these things work. It will be a tropical storm by the time it hits us and we shouldn't take any real damage."

"I'm not worried about the storm, I'm worried about you." The line went awkwardly silent but he looked at me again, feeling uncomfortable about me being here so I pretended to busy myself, searching through the basket of snacks that the motel provided.

"I'm fine honey. How about you, are you staying safe during this hurricane?"

"Actually mom, they've shut down campus but the roads are also closed so I'm stuck in a motel for the night. As soon as I can, I'll be home. Ok?"

"I'll get Frieda to turn over your room."

"I have a couple of friends coming with me."

"Then I shall also get Frieda to turn over the guest rooms. How long do you think you will be staying?"

"Who knows, I guess it depends on the extent of hurricane damage."

"Okay son, stay safe, be sensible. I will see you when you get here."

"Love you mom."

"Love you too."

He hung up and released a deep breath of calm. It was finally like all of that irritation, tension and stress had evaporated like the smoke particles in the air. His muscles looked more relaxed and his eyes had even softened.

But at the same time, now that his mind was no longer preoccupied by more important things it was like he suddenly realised we were doing this.

We were trapped for god knows how long alone in a room together and all of that awkwardness and discomfort I felt alone had transpired onto a shared feeling between us both.

"So..." he pondered, "what's in the box?"

"Food." I looked through the box again. "Packet noodles mostly, little tubs of peanut butter, energy bars, beef jerky, candy, dried fruit, coffee, chips. Stuff to keep us going."

"None of that stuff is going to keep me going."

"They gave us little wash kits too, some soap and stuff. A toothbrush, mouthwash, sanitary products and—" I paused to open a little plastic baggie. "Fresh underwear apparently."

"What?"

This peaked his interest, of course.

He got off the bed and grabbed the bag away from me. Holding out panties in front of him that made him burst out laughing.

They were a tent. Much bigger than the shorts I had on now. Uglier than a period panty. A full white brief, easily high waisted and a tad longer than usual on the leg.

My mother would approve.
My grandmother would probably wear them.

"These are disgusting." He mocked. "People actually wear underwear like this?"

"Well I don't."

"God we will just glide right on through this hurricane with a parachute like this. She did say the motel provided a hurricane safety kit, I just wasn't expecting such a premium service."

I laughed at his dumb joke and his dark brows raised in genuine surprise. "Wow, did I actually just make you laugh?"

I snatched the panties from his hands, "shut up you moron, they're obviously here for convenience. For all they know a 90 year old grandma could've gotten this room. It's a shame they didn't put actual clothes in here."

"I have clothes."

I pushed air out through my lips to make a pfft sound. "Great, thanks Jordan can always count on you to gloat."

"No, I mean. I have clothes that you can wear. I always keep an overnight bag in my car because I never know when I'm going to need it. What with how fickle Liam is or if I ever need to bolt home."

"Liam?"

"Do you want the clothes or not?"

"For real? You'd let me borrow something?" I was skeptical, this was Jordan. You can never take him too seriously. "I'd love that, thank you."

He unzipped the bag and tossed a towel aside, but then he screwed his face up like he was internally cringing and my hope faded.

"Apparently I'm not as prepared as I thought. I only really have this." He held up his soccer jersey and involuntarily my eyes widened. "But it's more than what you're wearing now and its clean so wear it."

"I'm not putting that on."  Ok my refusal came out much ruder and more abrupt than I had intended. Thankfully he didn't seem offended.

"Just put it on." He sighed.

"No I'm not wearing your jersey, that's weird. Do you know what they say about the soccer player who gives a girl his jersey? He's claiming her as his. It's a thing. A romantic thing. I'm not wearing your jersey."

"Are you serious? It's just a jersey."

"Well I know that but society doesn't."

"Who's going to see you?" I blinked at him silently because I didn't have an answer. "So who's going to know?" Again, my mouth didn't speak any words. He smiled like he had won a battle and tossed the jersey right at my face.

"Thought so." He announced proudly. "And hey, now that I've romantically claimed you as mine it's not going to be taboo when we shower together."

"In your fucking dreams Jordan!" I whipped him on the back of his neck with the material of his own jersey.

"Oh for sure." He smiled. "You and I both know that image will forever be on replay in my dreams." He smirked in this really devious, sexual way and my insides quivered.

I can't believe I have to last the night with this boy.