-13-

"Thank you for being here, Ainy," Fakhir murmurs, his palm finding solace on Ainy's hand. Ainy reciprocates with a gentle, reassuring smile. "Always."

"Fakhir, what have you done to your room?" Sameena's abrupt entry startles Fakhir and Ainy, causing them to swiftly retract their hands and rise from their seats.

"Ainy, tum? Yaha kya kar rahi ho?" Sameena's voice holds a note of suspicion, her gaze flickering between Ainy and Fakhir.

Ainy and Fakhir exchange uncertain looks, unsure of what to say in response to Sameena's sudden inquiry.

"What's happening here? Koi to batayega? Were you guys fighting?" Sameena questions, her concern evident in her tone.

Fakhir takes a breath, his frustration evident. "Nahi, Amma. Ainy is here to help me... to clean up things."

"Will you tell me what happened?" Sameena's gaze shifts to Fakhir, awaiting an explanation.

"I was...angry," Fakhir begins, his voice tinged with frustration. "Baba wants me in the office starting tomorrow."

"Fakhir, he wants you to prepare for your future. Understand your father, beta," Sameena urges, trying to reason with him.

"I can't do it now, Amma. I have school. I can't take one more responsibility," Fakhir expresses, feeling overwhelmed.

"Fakhir, we will talk about it in the morning. You must be tired. Get some sleep," Sameena decides, attempting to diffuse the tension for the night. She turns to Ainy, "Ainy, beta, clean the room before you leave for your room."

As Sameena leaves, Ainy stands there, a mix of concern and contemplation evident in her expression, her thoughts racing as she processes the situation and Sameena's instructions.

"Ainy, jake so jao. Jo bhi hai kal karenge," Fakhir urges, gently nudging her. Startled from her thoughts, she nods in acknowledgment and leaves the room with a heavy heart.

As she walks away, a wave of emotions floods Ainy. She realizes the uncanny resemblance between her situation and her mother's - constantly cleaning up after someone else's mess. It dawns on her that now, she's picking up after Fakhir, just as her mother had done for her father. The weight of exhaustion mirrors Fakhir's own weariness.

Feeling a mix of empathy for Fakhir and a pang of weariness from shouldering this responsibility, Ainy retreats to her room. The burden of cleaning up emotional and physical messes takes its toll, leaving her equally drained as Fakhir. As she settles in for the night, thoughts of finding a balance between supporting Fakhir and safeguarding her own well-being linger in her mind, creating a sense of inner turmoil.

As the morning sun filters through the curtains, Ainy stirs from her slumber to the sound of a gentle knock on her door. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she opens the door to find Sameena, her mother-in-law, standing there.

"Are you still sleeping ?" Sameena asks.

Ainy, her voice still carrying traces of sleep, replies, "Yes, Bari Ammi. Is there something I can help with?"

"Indeed, Ainy. You're a married woman now, dear. With that comes new responsibilities," Sameena gently explains.

"Oh, okay," Ainy responds, trying to comprehend the changes that have come with her nikkah.