I want Selena to understand how much Theo cares for me and how protective he is of me. I want her to debunk her theory that Theo purposely put my life in danger so the Don would take action.

"If all you need is someone to protect you, you should hire a bodyguard then. Your husband is a cheater and useless. Well, at least he is honest."

I kept my mouth shut, I didn't argue any further. Whatever I'll say, Selena will just stick to her opinions. I didn't have anyone to talk to about this, only Selena. But I wasn't sure if her opinions were biased because she hated Theo to the core, or it was the truth.

Truth that I refuse to accept.

Sensing my silence, I heard Selena took a deep sigh. "Look, I may say harsh words and stuff, but only because I'm looking out for you. I care about you."

"I know that. It's just that," I hesitated for a bit. I knew that whatever I say, Selena would just judge my next statement. But I still had to say it. "Theo is confusing. There were times we would be this cold and distant human being, then all of a sudden, he would be affectionate or make me feel I'm important to him. I'm not sure if I exaggerated that, though. But still."

My best friend just stared at me. I wasn't sure if it was with pity or understanding. She drank the rest of her margarita and ordered another one. "Or maybe you just want this marriage to work and that's why you're accepting whatever you receive from him?"

I avoided her gaze and looked away, not wanting to admit that maybe she was right. I didn't want to admit to myself that maybe I was settling for less than what I deserved.

Maybe.

"Don't you think it's time to explore your options?"

"What?"

She rolled her eyes at my one-word response as if it was the dumbest thing she had ever heard. "I mean, have you considered leaving your husband and maybe, just maybe try this Lukas guy?"

"Oh my god, Sel!" My voice was sharp and laced with disbelief. I couldn't believe she was actually suggesting this!

"What? He seems really nice, coming from a cold-hearted mafia clan. Also, he seems genuinely and obviously concerned about your safety and well-being, too. See, it's like killing two birds with one stone. A protector and possible husband. Someone you can actually build a family with!"

I was so shocked that I gulped down an entire glass of red wine in one go. "You're crazy. I shouldn't have come here."

Selena gave me one of her signature smirks, as if she knew something. "You just need a push, Lia. Deep down, I think you're considering this--"

"I'm not!"

"Otherwise, you would wear your wedding ring, right?"

I looked at my left hand and stared at where my wedding ring once was. I haven't worn it since I removed it before my MRI. It's still on my bedside table, the same place Theo put it. I couldn't bear to look at it. It's a reminder of my feeling of rejection and sadness that I can't seem to shake.

Do I really want to leave this marriage?

Is what Selena said true?

"Just in time, your prince charming awaits." Selena gushed as she motioned for me to turn around.

I furrowed my brows first before following her instructions, unsure of what to expect. Then, I saw a familiar man wearing a black T-shirt. His blonde hair was slicked back. He had a pair of aviator sunglasses perched on top of his head and his hands were shoved into the pockets of his black jeans.

"Go ahead, I'll take care of the bill." She said with a big grin on her face. "Don't let your prince wait. Go!"

"Stop it, S. I'm married, okay? Maybe he's here because the Don asked him to come and pick me up." I reasoned out.

Like seriously, why is she acting like this?

"Whatever you say, princess."

I ignored her comment and stood up. I air kissed her goodbye, turned around, and walked away.

"Hey," I greeted Lukas with a smile.

"Did you enjoy your time with your best friend? I didn't show up too early, did I?" Lukas flashed me with a smile. Surprisingly, or not, it has caught the attention of the female species around us. They were looking at us.

Is this a Salvatore thing?

"Not really, we were just finishing up. Anyway, sorry that the Don asked you to come here and..."

"The Don didn't ask me anything like that." Lukas interrupted.

I looked at him, a little puzzled, not understanding why he was here if not for that. Sensing my confusion, Lukas continued. "Who do you think convinced the Don to let you get out and enjoy? Well, I promised him I'd be around to keep you safe so."

"What?" I asked with a laugh. I didn't expect that! But then I shouldn't be so surprised, right? After what happened, I should have known that one guard, the driver, was not the only one escorting me out.

But Lukas has a lot more on his plate than just doing something so basic like this. Did he really offer to babysit me so I could go out and have a break?

But...

"But, aren't you afraid someone might see you with someone and use it against you? Well, that's what I always think since Theo keeps us private, and never really out together. And like Theo, you're one of the important Salvatores, too."

"Well, if I have a beautiful wife, I'd be proud to show her off." Lukas smirked at me and opened the passenger's seat door. "I know how to fight, Lia. So why would I be afraid?"

-END OF CHAPTER 23-

A/N: I hope you're liking this story so far! And yeah, I read your comments and there were lots of #TEAMTHEO reacted! hahaha. yeah, I hear you guys. But this is a competition so... who will it be? Lukas or Theo?

You can read the advance chapters (currently on Ch30) on my Patreon Account: notjustarandomgirl, also I put the Link in my bio.  Do check out my TikTok account for my LYTLM vids there. username: notjustarandomgirl00

See You next week!