005. babysitting

Sam jolts awake from his spot in the backseat, glancing around before starting to relax when he recalls where he is and comes to terms with what's real. He glances over, both of his daughters in their car seats and focused on Ophelia's iPad while the three watch Anastasia.

Natalie jolts awake from the passenger seat, quietly gasping as she remembers her boyfriend and best friend's bodies.

"You okay?" Dean asks, glancing between the two.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sam dismisses. Natalie ignores him, staring out the window.

"Nightmare?" Dean asks. Sam clears his throat, not giving him an answer. "You wanna drive for a while?"

"Dean, your whole life, you never once asked me that." Sam says.

"Just thought you might want to. Never mind." Dean dismisses.

"Look, man, you're worried. I get it, and thank you, but I'm perfectly okay." Sam tells Dean.

"Mm-hmm." Dean hums.

"All right, where are we?" Sam asks, grabbing a map.

"We are just outside of Grand Junction." Dean says.

"You know what? Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon." Sam says.

"Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica, and we assume killed Noah--"

"We gotta find dad first." Sam says.

"Dad disappearing and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence." Dean says. "Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do." Natalie rolls her eyes.

"These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge." Sam says.

"What about it?" Dean asks.

"There's nothing there. It's just woods." Sam states. "Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?"

Sam stops when a little hand grabs onto his pointer and middle finger. He glances at Evie as she pulls his hand to her, hugging his wrist with her free arm. He sadly smiles, both of the girls being even more clingy to their father ever since Jess. Sam uses his thumb to gently brush her cheek as she uses his hand as a pillow, her eyes shutting.

+++

"So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote." Sam says as the three walk into the ranger station. Sam looks at a 3D map of the forest and he's holding Libby while Dean and Natalie walk around, looking at the rest of the place. Natalie is holding Evie and her other hand is held by Ophelia. "It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place."

"Dudes, check out the size of this freaking bear." Dean says. Sam and Natalie look over at a picture of a man standing behind a large bear.

"No." Libby whines, cowering into her dad.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. It's not here." Sam assures, calming her down. "And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure." Sam walks over to Dean.

"You kids--"

"Holy--!" Natalie jumps, turning to the ranger who is standing behind her. Ophelia jumps and her aunt wraps her free arm around the girl's shoulders. Evie whines, starting to cry.

"--aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by chance?" The ranger finishes his question as Natalie walks over to her brothers.

Evie cries and reaches out to Sam who quickly takes her with his free arm. Natalie takes Libby so Sam can focus the crying toddler.