Chapter 16 | Another Heavenly Delusion, Euphoric Murderer and Malicious Intent

Ding.

A noise echoed throughout the room as I opened the door to the room we were in.

"Everything will go as discussed. Be careful. If the timing is off even a little, we're done for", Mateo had said before I left the area. I nodded at him and smiled before leaving the room and having a brand new objective: find Austin.

It was like a vice versa situation now - instead of him hunting for us, it had almost started to feel like we were the ones hunting for him.

"Austin~", I'd called out his name, repeatedly and louder each time. However, no matter how many times I'd called his name, I'd never get a response.

However, as I'd turned a sharp corner, I found a door; beyond the door, the intense sound of the storm seemed to be much stronger and the wind seemed to be gushing much faster there.

Impulsively, I trudged over to the door, held the handle and twisted it. The door dramatically creaked open, revealing...

A balcony.

It was the first time I'd seen natural light after almost one month of being trapped in here. The metal boarding on the windows and doors all prevented us from getting sunlight or even moonlight. I felt a little astonished by the beauty of nature which we were kept from for a month.

By the fence railings of the balcony stood Austin, letting the rainwater drench his body as he watched off into the endless abyss of ocean. He seemed to have heard that someone had entered, but he didn't turn back to see who it was.

"Beautiful view, isn't it? For a finale setting."

Austin chuckled in a way which seemed to already represent victory, although he was far from it.

"Who is it? Mateo? Or is it Veronica?"

I didn't reply to him. Instead, I tried to lunge at him and push him off the balcony, but he responded to that by moving to the side so that I bumped my head on the fence railing instead.

"So it's Veronica."

Austin looked at me and smirked. "Well? Losing an eye wasn't enough for you?" He pulled out another dagger and tried to stab me, to which I responded by rolling away so that he stabbed the floor instead.

So he had more than one.

"Nice reflexes." Austin then licked the tip of his dagger and rubbed his index finger through the outline, acting like the main character of a TV show. "Before you die, can I ask you something, Veronica?"

As I got up from the floor and stood on both feet, I replied to his question. "You're the one who's gonna die."

"I love your confidence", Austin replied sarcastically, "but anyways. You revived Colleen, didn't you?"

Reluctantly, I nodded my head.

"I knew it!" He let out an boisterous laugh before speaking. "Wow! I have never seen a revival fail that badly. You revived her, and she died again right after! Ahahaha!" Austin was laughing like it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

So he knows about that. His reaction confirms my suspicions that it wasn't him who killed her. But does he know how she died?

"Keep quiet, shithead."

"Ooh. Shiver me timbers", Austin replied with a bored tone in his voice. "Man. You're not a fun opponent at all. I wish Flavia was still alive so this moment could at least be a little bit more interesting."

I impulsively stormed towards Austin and grabbed him by the collar, not caring about the dagger which was gripped tight within his hand. "You think this is all just some game for you to find it interesting, buddy?" I had tried to seem intimidating, but looking back I probably just looked desperate.