5 | Stage Fright

➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸

Alicia

Take it easy. Breathe. Focus. Kissing someone on camera isn't embarrassing. Just walk to the room and finish the rehearsal. Nothing major. Performers often kiss each other. Why can't you if they can?

Alicia relaxed against the wall next to the water fountain while sipping from her plastic cup. Her legs weakened again. She couldn't figure out why kissing Raven on camera was tough. Four weeks had passed since their screen test. Did it matter that she yearned—

"You're out here!" Raven bounced along the hall, her black hair flying. "Don't tell me you left because of Ivory. Forgive me for bringing her in. My assistant will take her."

"Don't worry about it." She folded the paper cup after pouring out the remaining water. "The rabbit isn't the problem."

"Then, what is it?" Raven raised her eyebrows. "You're not sick or something, are you?"

Her eyes widened as she shrieked, "How do you do it? With the camera rolling, you were about to kiss me."

"Ah!" As Raven returned to her senses, her expression shifted. "Now I get it. Stage fright seems to be your struggle." Alicia's body warmed as a broad grin grew across her face. "This must be overwhelming for you."

"You could say that."

"But why are you suddenly scared to act romantically in front of the camera?" Raven joined her and sighed as she stood there.

"I'm trying something new here," she explained. "I've never... I have no idea how to..."

"You're terrified of kissing someone on camera." Raven looked like she was trying not to laugh. "That's the most adorable thing ever!"

"What's your secret? Have you been practicing?"

Raven chuckled. "Well, I've done a lot of romantic films before this one, so working with other actors is a breeze. Kissing on camera can be nerve-wracking, but you'll adjust to it. You'll also pick up useful experience over time."

Alicia looked at her and nodded, sighing. "I see."

"Tell me. Why does this role challenge you?" Raven twirled her hair as she glanced at Alicia.

Alicia answered, "I don't want to mess up this amazing opportunity. I'm worried about my performance. What if I'm a sloppy kisser?"

"No way, girl. You will be fine. When was the last time you had a starring role?"

"Umm..." Alicia closed her eyes and inhaled. "At nineteen, I played the love interest's best friend. That's it. No kissing required."

Raven gaped. "So that explains your anxiety. It's also your reasoning for working on this film. It makes sense now."

"What makes sense?"

"Your first leading role can make or break your career. I understand—I felt the same before my first acting gig."

Alicia muttered, "Yeah," then sat up straight and looked at Raven. "You were my first kiss in almost a year. This is a chance to proudly represent the LGBT community, which only comes once in a lifetime."

Raven grinned and nodded. "Exactly. In time, I hope everyone accepts same-sex couples. My closest friend has always been there for me, and she is a lesbian. I wish I could make her life easier in this world."

KismetOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara