4 | Chemistry

➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸➸

Raven

Xavier rested in Raven's spare room the next morning. He occasionally stayed the night there, so journalists would see him leave. It was almost sad how easy it was to dupe everyone. She thought people enjoyed a good love story and would believe anything that satisfied their dreams.

Mya was asleep on the couch when she and Xavier arrived home after midnight. Raven stayed silent while her friend was there. While she loved her cozy home, she knew it was rude to wake up the people sleeping nearby.

Raven was too excited to sleep after 6:30. She urged Skymotion Films to hire the vibrant and pretty actress who came back for the screen test. When Alicia mentioned how much of an impact the film had on her, Raven knew she had discovered what she was looking for. Not only a job, but someone who shared her enthusiasm for the film was what she was after.

Though Raven didn't want to assume, the actress's willingness to kiss her and her short hair made her think she liked women. That should have been a hint. It was great to hear that Alicia liked the movie as much as she did. She hoped Alicia could be as sincere. Another reason to avoid disappointing friends and family with her acting choices.

Raven's sadness stemmed from the thought that she might never see Alicia again. She told casting directors that Alicia's audition and screen test were impressive. This role should only go to her.

Raven wiggled with enthusiasm as she underlined and took notes on the screenplay at the dining table. Xavier coughed and rubbed his eyes sleepily after she calmed down, his hair still stiff with gel from the night before and sticking up in odd ways.

He smiled. "You look chipper this morning."

"That's because I am!"

"Well, don't get too enthusiastic, R," he remarked, looking at Ivory and Mya sleeping on the couch. "The girls need their beauty sleep."

"She wakes up grumpy, anyway."

"Which one?"

"Ivory, of course." Raven stood and leaned forward to grab the rabbit. The animal cuddled up in her arms as Raven caressed her fur. She turned around and asked Xavier, "Did you want—wait, you're laughing. Why is this so amusing?"

"Nothing." He covered his mouth before bursting out, "Where the hell did you get that sweatshirt?"

Looking down at her top, which said, "Emotionally attached to fictional characters," Raven shrugged. "What about it? When I'm at home, I want to relax and feel at peace."

"Raven, it's July. No one wears sweatshirts in the summer."

She stuck her nose in the air. "So? I feel cute and comfortable in it."

Mya sighed, "I kind of agree with him on this one," as she combed her wavy brown hair while sitting up. "You're probably sweating like a pig underneath your clothes."

"Hey! Stop pestering me." After setting Ivory down, Raven crossed her arms. "Here I was, pondering what to make for breakfast."

Xavier kneeled before her and pleaded, "Forgive us, for we know not what we're doing."

Shaking her head, Raven rolled her eyes. "You know exactly what you're doing. Both of you are picking me, and I'm not having it."