Chapter 2

Once Thornhill had done her nightly check, Blair remembered that they were meant to find Uncle Fester in the Nightshade Library, she sent a mind message to Xavier saying that she couldn't make it which he was fine with.

Once the twins got to the statue, Blair snapped twice and the gears clicked and clacked as the secret entrance was revealed.

"Uncle Fester?" Wednesday called out as the twins walked downstairs. They heard footsteps but it wasn't Uncle Fester.

It was Xavier. "Who's Uncle Fester?" He asked, he already knew since Blair had told him, but he didn't want Wednesday to know.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday asked him.

"Since I'm an actual Nightshade, I don't have to explain myself. What's your excuse for creeping around in the middle of the night?" Xavier said, sending Blair a smile.

"Research." Wednesday stated.

"On the monster?" Xavier asked. "I'll save you some time. Blair and I already checked, there's nothing in here matching that thing." He shrugged.

"Isn't that convenient?" Wednesday asked. The twins go to leave but Xavier stops them.

"You know what your problem is?" He said to Wednesday.

"I would love to hear your piercing insight."

"Wednesday." Blair warned her. She knew this wasn't going to end well.

"You don't know who your real friends are. I've been on your side since day one. I literally saved your life. I believed your theories when nobody else did. And what do I get in return? Just nothing but suspicion and lies." He said, angering Wednesday.

"Fine. You want honesty? Here it is. Every time the monster's attacked, you've been right there. Starting with Rowan at the Harvest Festival. Then on Outreach Day, you arrived just minutes after the monster disappeared, yet you say you didn't see it." Wednesday said.

Xavier shook his head. "I didn't realize proximity was a crime."

"Then there's your drawing obsession. You have drawn the monster dozens of times, yet you've never seen it. Or so you claim. You even drew where it lived. Then when Eugene went to investigate, you tried to kill him so he wouldn't spill your secret." Wednesday said.

"Wednesday." Blair called out again, but she was ignored.

"You think I would hurt Eugene?" Xavier asked, insulted that she would accuse him of such crime.

"Let's not forget your oh-so-convenient appearance after Tyler had been attacked at the Gates mansion."

"If I am the monster, then why haven't I killed you?" Xavier asked.

"Because of Blair." Wednesday answered, Xavier left the library.

***

"What the hell Wednesday!" Blair yelled. "I told you to stop, why did you keep going!"

"I don't have to answer you, Blair. I don't have to explain myself." Wednesday said.

"You know, that he and I are together, I have constantly asked you to play nice, to at least try to get along. But no." Blair shook her head ad ran off to find Xavier. Luckily, he hadn't gotten very far. "Xavier!" Blair yelled, making him stop.

"I've tried Blair. I have, but for her to insinuate that I'm the monster, that I've killed... that I would hurt you." He whispered the last sentence. "That's taking it too far."

"I know." Blair stood closer. "I know you would never hurt me." She said, bringing him in close and hugging him. Touch was Xavier's love language, something Blair always tried to show him.